Can't see emojis?

deboratibi

Hey ^_^

I meant to ask this a while ago, but I forgot. I noticed that we now have the option to use emojis instead of just the standard smileys, however, I can't see any of them. When people use them, they look like squares to me, and if I try to use them, they look like this:

emoji.png

What gives? Do you guys reckon this is a browser issue, or perhaps something with my computer?

That's weird isn't it, can you still see TDN's original emojis, right down at the base of the list?

These new ones are some default ones that are used all over the place, aren't they? I know they're used on Instagram at least, so maybe it's some obscure setting at your end.

Yep, I can see all the original ones, as usual. Just not the new ones :\

I googled this issue, and found a Google Chrome extension that supposedly displays emojis, but it didn't work for me (forgot to mention that, lol)

Edit: Ok, so I also found out about a font named Segoe UI Emoji, and installed it. The "emojis" changed ever so slightly:

emoji2.png

5 hours ago, deboratibi said:

Yep, I can see all the original ones, as usual. Just not the new ones ?

I googled this issue, and found a Google Chrome extension that supposedly displays emojis, but it didn't work for me (forgot to mention that, lol)

Edit: Ok, so I also found out about a font named Segoe UI Emoji, and installed it. The "emojis" changed ever so slightly:

emoji2.png

My husband has these ones on his Samsung GalazyS7 Edge I believe. He sent me the frowny face one and I was like what the heck is wrong with your emoji's. Forgot to ask him about it tonight when he got home and he's in bed now. Have to try and remember tomorrow.

I'm not having any issues seeing the emoji's and they're visible across my iMac. So I'm no help to you on this. ?

I need to say sorry now for feeling the need to explain to you where the TDN emojs are, Deb, seems I forgot momentarily that you've been on this site a lot longer than I have. facepalm.gif

Those sketch ones are fun, I don't really like a lot of the new ones because there's too much detail for such small images, so it's often hard to tell what they're actually meant to be.

The little bald guy looks like Dr. Evil, now we need a one million dollars! emoji, lol. 5c05232b4fb04495c4c16daea07b9267.png

I wonder... once this is fixed/resolves itself, if any used emojis keep their altered look or switch to how they should have looked. I'd imagine they'd update.

The 'new' emojis are just the same Unicode emoji used widely on, well, nearly everything. Different operating systems will display them differently - different phones (Android, iOs, etc), different computer operating systems (Windows versions, macOS versions, etc), and I believe if your computer is old, it may not support the unicode version required to display emojis. How old is your computer and what operating system are you using?

16 hours ago, deboratibi said:

Hey ^_^

I meant to ask this a while ago, but I forgot. I noticed that we now have the option to use emojis instead of just the standard smileys, however, I can't see any of them. When people use them, they look like squares to me, and if I try to use them, they look like this:

emoji.png

What gives? Do you guys reckon this is a browser issue, or perhaps something with my computer?

i have the same issue Deb

i don't see the new emojis

but i don't mind cz i won't use them anyway

i use HP laptop with Win 7 Ultimate 

8 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I need to say sorry now for feeling the need to explain to you where the TDN emojs are, Deb, seems I forgot momentarily that you've been on this site a lot longer than I have. facepalm.gif

ROFL don't worry about it! Being here a long time means nothing when you're as scatterbrained as I am :confused: Pointing out what's obvious to most people often helps, actually :upsidedown:

8 hours ago, Duskitty said:

The 'new' emojis are just the same Unicode emoji used widely on, well, nearly everything. Different operating systems will display them differently - different phones (Android, iOs, etc), different computer operating systems (Windows versions, macOS versions, etc), and I believe if your computer is old, it may not support the unicode version required to display emojis. How old is your computer and what operating system are you using?

Ah, that explains a lot... my computer is at least 7 years old (but I'm guessing 8/almost 9). And I use Windows 7 Home Basic. So, there's no helping it? :sad:

7 minutes ago, deboratibi said:

Ah, that explains a lot... my computer is at least 7 years old (but I'm guessing 8/almost 9). And I use Windows 7 Home Basic. So, there's no helping it? :sad:

Ah, I now remember that when I had to go back to my equally antique old laptop the emojis were an older version, I'd forgotten about that.

Not quite to your black and white/silent movie version though! I guess that's browser-related though if you use Chrome and I use Firefox.

After doing some googling, it appears that Windows 7 seems to only support emoji in black and white; upon release it didn't support emoji at all, but emoji functionality was added in a later update. You'll need Windows 8.1 or higher to properly see emoji in colour.

Additionally, Chrome on Windows 7 doesn't seem to support emoji at all, but IE and Firefox do.

The coloured ones that Duma sees are the ones I have on my old laptop, that runs on Vista.

That's somewhat bizarre, that Vista supports something that Windows 7 doesn't :huh: