Sad Pet?

Rayd1978

So was going through my dailies, and noticed my pet is Miserable.   Double checked, and yeah, just minutes earlier had been Delighted.    I can only assume was something that I missed that made it sad, anyone have ideas what might have caused such a sudden and drastic change?   I don't think I did anything unusual.

I have been having a similar issue except mine has been 'depressed' for over a week now. I don't know what caused it, it was a sudden change just like yours. I've tried hide and seek, merry go round, faerieland job agency (not that working is any fun but you never know), and a few other things but my pets mood hasn't changed yet.

Maybe it's just mine or there could be something going on with that. Hopefully yours sorts itself out faster than mine! 

11 minutes ago, Kute said:

I dont remember where I read it, and I could not find it on google. But i saw once that there is a certain amount of times you play with your pet in order for it to go up in mood. It just takes a bit. 

I think I read something similar too, but now can't find it either. Also playing/ grooming pets to improve their mood is less effective when the pets are hungry or sick. And (I think) Chias tend to get sad if you have both a Chia and a Lupe

It's an RE from... the Black Pteri maybe? It makes your pet depressed.

Playing with them WILL bring them back to their normal level, but it takes a little longer than just playing with them 2 or 3 times. It's a slog in a small way.

From what I've figured out each happiness level takes about 5 plays to work through, so to get them from depressed up to delighted they would need to be played with 50 times. But they're quite happy to play with the same toy, and you don't need to close and refresh the toy's lightbox each time, just click on play with them, then click on it in your inventory again and the lightbox with refresh itself, saves you a little bit of time.

I think there might be a random event that drops your pet's mood level, and yes, it takes a lot of playing with plushies/toys to get that level back up. I do think the Merry-Go-Round is a bit quicker, but it still takes a while.

*Edit: @jellysundae just beat me with her much more detailed answer! :P

5 hours ago, Rayd1978 said:

So was going through my dailies, and noticed my pet is Miserable.   Double checked, and yeah, just minutes earlier had been Delighted.    I can only assume was something that I missed that made it sad, anyone have ideas what might have caused such a sudden and drastic change?   I don't think I did anything unusual.

I also read somewhere as the others stated that playing with your pets will make them better but it takes a lot of playing. I have found the Merry Go Round has been the fastest way to make them happy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Just an interesting fact I found under Pet Care  ? Did You Know ?

Taking a trip to the Healing Springs might help or cure your pet.  (This one I knew about)   Don't let your Neopet stay depressed for too long or it will turn blue. ( I didn't know this and the next time I have a depressed pet I am going to test this out and see how long it takes to turn blue. I know, pet abuse.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I also think that I may have read that when all of the articles were available on the side bar of *Contact Us*. It's unfortunate that that side bar is no longer there.

Yep. Usually a random event causes mood changes. I found it is quicker to take my pet for several rides on the "Merry-Go-Round" (http://www.neopets.com/worlds/roo/merrygoround.phtml), on Roo Island. Playing with toys does improve mood, but it takes a much longer time. When my pet was depressed, I believe it took 13 rides to get it back to "Delighted". It could have been 15, but I don't think it was any more than that. Rides are 50 NP a go, so I spent about 750~1000 NP to make him happy. I felt it was worth it.

Guess I will have to take my pet to the merry go round for a couple more go arounds. Hes been depressed for over a week now and hasn't turned blue yet (did not even know that was possible).. 

Even though it's not my post, thanks for all the advice on this topic guys :D

7 hours ago, Granny63020 said:

I didn't know this and the next time I have a depressed pet I am going to test this out and see how long it takes to turn blue

When I was playing with my old account, I had a 5-year hiatus, and none of my four pets turned blue when I came back, even though they were all miserable, so I imagine it would take a very very long time

I don't know if pets will actually turn blue from being depressed/miserable any more. I feel like this was covered in an editorial at some point, and the explanation was that when Neo first started this was possible, but later it was discontinued? I'm not completely sure, but I can't figure out how to search old Editorials to find out. I think it may have been an issue kind of like the Boochi character who could change your pet into a baby pet with a random event. I actually had that RE on my first Neo account many, many years ago. I thought it was cool, but lots of people were upset because they spend millions on paintbrushes/morphing potions and then got colors changed due to RE or pet mood. That's why I feel like they discontinued these events but I can't find it for sure.

I'm told feeding a hungry pet will raise it's mood, but I tend to keep mine well fed, so wasn't an option.    between the Merry-Go-Round, Tiki Tours, and a couple toys, I'm back up to Delighted.

2 hours ago, DragonPhoenix said:

I don't know if pets will actually turn blue from being depressed/miserable any more. I feel like this was covered in an editorial at some point, and the explanation was that when Neo first started this was possible, but later it was discontinued? I'm not completely sure, but I can't figure out how to search old Editorials to find out. I think it may have been an issue kind of like the Boochi character who could change your pet into a baby pet with a random event. I actually had that RE on my first Neo account many, many years ago. I thought it was cool, but lots of people were upset because they spend millions on paintbrushes/morphing potions and then got colors changed due to RE or pet mood. That's why I feel like they discontinued these events but I can't find it for sure.

That's interesting! Of course they don't always update facts. I read that article just before I posted it to this forum! What it didn't say is after the pet turns blue if it would return to it's normal state after playing with and increasing the mood. Go figure. 

@Vlagopus    5 years is a very long time so I don't think I will be testing that theory and I will keep my pets happy. Thanks for posting that info.

5 hours ago, Granny63020 said:

That's interesting! Of course they don't always update facts. I read that article just before I posted it to this forum! What it didn't say is after the pet turns blue if it would return to it's normal state after playing with and increasing the mood. Go figure. 

@Vlagopus    5 years is a very long time so I don't think I will be testing that theory and I will keep my pets happy. Thanks for posting that info.

Feels like grey would have been a better option for sad pets tbh. But maybe that looks cool enough that it would be a reward for mistreating your pets.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they removed events such as Boochi and blues a while back - anything that could randomly change your pet's colour. I know for sure they removed Boochi's ability to change your pet into a baby, but not sure about the blues event.

If I remember correctly, there was an event that could turn your pet red from being angry too?

Edit: Found it, in this editorial.

image.png.c6280a33eb396ce36d92e77ab8faf599.png

Okay that's good, I was worried there for a second cause I just painted my active Eventide, which was my dream colour for him. 

I was able to get him back up to delighted from about 15 goes on the merry go round :D so happy hes not depressed anymore! 

I expect the thought of the potential furore caused by pets with expensive paint-jobs turning into basic blue would have been behind the removal of THAT particular feature.  ? Just like with the turning invisible RE. That was especially cruel and I'm glad they got rid of it.

23 hours ago, jellysundae said:

you don't need to close and refresh the toy's lightbox each time, just click on play with them, then click on it in your inventory again and the lightbox with refresh itself, saves you a little bit of time.

You actually don't even need to do this. After you submit the "play with X/groom X" button and the lightbox refreshes to show your pet's reaction, you can just refresh THAT over and over to re-play/re-groom without clicking the item again in your inventory. It usually takes me upwards of 20 times to get my pet back to normal. 

16 minutes ago, emily_speck_15 said:

What about putting your pet in the neolodge?  I pretty much always keep my pets there and that keeps them happy.

They can still be hit with the depressed RE while they're in there, sadly. ?

1 hour ago, kayahtik said:

You actually don't even need to do this. After you submit the "play with X/groom X" button and the lightbox refreshes to show your pet's reaction, you can just refresh THAT over and over to re-play/re-groom without clicking the item again in your inventory.

But how can you refresh the lightbox? What is this sorcery?! ?

I need to investigate this‼

On 9/30/2018 at 3:29 AM, Rayd1978 said:

This fellow is the usual culprit! When I first read your post I remembered having this RE before but couldn't recall who caused it. Happened to me again just now.

Capture.JPG

Ohhh, maybe that's where I got it from because I hadn't done anything different recently to my pet for him to become depressed. 

I just never saw the RE probably cause it didn't load properly or it doesnt show on the guild pages (?)

I didn't even know this was an RE. Good to know! 

9 hours ago, jellysundae said:

But how can you refresh the lightbox? What is this sorcery?! ?

I need to investigate this‼

You can just hit F5 or Ctrl/Cmd + R while having that window selected and it'll refresh it just like any other browser window/tab.

7 hours ago, Duskitty said:

You can just hit F5 or Ctrl/Cmd + R while having that window selected and it'll refresh it just like any other browser window/tab.

Ah *tries * Huh, if I do do that I get the additional step of a resend/cancel pop-up, so it's not a worthwhile move for me, oh well.