This weird thing happened

Kute

Hello all

Tonight this weird thing happened. I was inactive for maybe an hour or two but I was logged in and at the jellyworld board. I went there to test fonts. When I came back after the 1-2 hrs and refreshed the page by submitting a new post it had me logged in as my sister.... it even posted as my sister. 

We do not share computers. We do not share chrome accounts. She has never logged in with my laptop and I have never used hers. The only thing we share is internet when she is sometimes here with me. 

Has this ever happened to anyone?!  Is it neo or is it somehow my internet?? I'm totally freaked out and worried about the fact that it could look like we are the same person on TNTs end. 

I did submit a ticket but I just feel like its such a weird thing that they might not take it seriously. 

Is there a possibility that you were pranked by your sister?

It would be rather scary if it were due to the internet. Imagine playing Neo on some unsecured public wifi, and a stranger next to you is doing the same using the same wifi, and suddenly you just automatically swapped account without knowing? ?

It's more likely a technical thing that shouldn't happen, but sometimes does.  In order to access the Internet, you have to share a network, usually wi-fi, that connects to a router.  Neopets has no idea that the packets coming from you and your sister are from different computers.  The router, which is really all Neopets can see, remembers whose laptop belongs to which stream of packets coming in from the world.  Meanwhile, Neopets uses cookies or some other internal token to distinguish what you're doing from another user.   

So, if anything goes wrong with how Neopets tracks you or if your router gets confused, it would be possible for your token or stream of packets to get swapped.  

The question is, is it still happening?  Or was it just for a moment?  If it's still happening, rebooting the router can't hurt.  If it's still happening after that, it has to be on Neopets' side.

2 hours ago, discobiscuit said:

It's more likely a technical thing that shouldn't happen, but sometimes does.  In order to access the Internet, you have to share a network, usually wi-fi, that connects to a router.  Neopets has no idea that the packets coming from you and your sister are from different computers.  The router, which is really all Neopets can see, remembers whose laptop belongs to which stream of packets coming in from the world.  Meanwhile, Neopets uses cookies or some other internal token to distinguish what you're doing from another user.   

So, if anything goes wrong with how Neopets tracks you or if your router gets confused, it would be possible for your token or stream of packets to get swapped.  

The question is, is it still happening?  Or was it just for a moment?  If it's still happening, rebooting the router can't hurt.  If it's still happening after that, it has to be on Neopets' side.

excellent reply. Thank you very much..  Well I refreshed the page to see if it would go back to normal but no I was very much still logged in. So I clicked log out.  However when I clicked log out it logged my sister out of her account on her computer too. Which I guess would make sense. Nothing further has happened since then.  I did not think to reset the router so I will do that now.  DO you know anything about if the fact we use satellite internet matters?  I've always wondered this in general.  

@Vlagopus I was thinking the exact same thing. My sister does play at her school library sometimes. I mean what are the odds some other college kid is also playing in the library... but still. its a scary thought.  She was like O_O face when i showed her. SHe was all wtf??????? and she screamed 'IM GUNNA GET FROZE!!! ? GET OUT BEFORE I GET FROZE'

32 minutes ago, Kute said:

excellent reply. Thank you very much..  Well I refreshed the page to see if it would go back to normal but no I was very much still logged in. So I clicked log out.  However when I clicked log out it logged my sister out of her account on her computer too. Which I guess would make sense. Nothing further has happened since then.  I did not think to reset the router so I will do that now.  DO you know anything about if the fact we use satellite internet matters?  I've always wondered this in general.  

I've never used satellite based stuff so I don't actually know, but I imagine that the system would cache as much as it could to save on relatively slow uploading and downloading.  So, if your satellite system or Neopets got confused and swapped who belonged to what token, that would stay in the satellite modem's memory longer than if the same thing happened at a cyber cafe with a fiber or cable connection. 

Changing things, like logging out, would tell the satellite system to refresh the cache, so it should clear up.

If it keeps happening even after all this, then it's not your equipment.  It would have to be something getting tangled on Neopets' servers.