New Rubbish Dump Avvie

lucky_ants

SO the new Rubbish Dump avvie! From what I understand, the solution was unknown for a while, but now it's listed as being awarded when you collect a non-rubbish item from the dump.

Well, I managed to snag a dung pizza from the dump today after stalking the dump on and off for days, but I haven't received the avatar. What gives? Is it not working because it was a dung item? Do I need to do any additional steps for the avvie to credit? Is there something I'm missing?

If you know anything, please let me know!

I have not gotten the avatar yet, I grabbed a dung book with no result. I heard that someone grabbed a Blue Paint Brush, which got them the avatar. So appearently these rare, valuable items appear at the Rubbish Dump now, it seems you need to grab an item that is not part of the usual stuff that appears at the dump.

From what I've seen on the neoboards, it's only the really valuable stuff, like paint brushes, that'll get you the avatar. I think I saw several posts saying even codestones won't do the trick.

*Edit: I just checked the neoboards, and apparently the items that'll get you the avvie are:

Paint brushes, faeries, petpets, and apple cores.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, isabellelupe said:

Is it still available? I read somewhere in the Neoforums that it wasn't being awarded anymore

5 hours ago, Duma said:

It was broken for a while but as far as I know it's working again.

I'd assumed it was available as well, but I just read this thread on the neoboards, and it appears that after two batches of the qualifying items were released a while ago, no one has reported getting it since (or has seen a qualifying item at the dump since). So it might be working, and the appearance of qualifying items might just be extremely rare. Or it might be broken again. (Or rather, there might be an issue with getting the qualifying items. If one were to actually show up, the avatar might work. It's hard to tell.)

1 hour ago, Nielo said:

I'd assumed it was available as well, but I just read this thread on the neoboards, and it appears that after two batches of the qualifying items were released a while ago, no one has reported getting it since (or has seen a qualifying item at the dump since). So it might be working, and the appearance of qualifying items might just be extremely rare. Or it might be broken again. (Or rather, there might be an issue with getting the qualifying items. If one were to actually show up, the avatar might work. It's hard to tell.)

Hmm I hope they put more qualifying items then (if it still works) so we'll have a good chance of getting the avatar. Or if it's not working, I hope they fix it soon haha

I am being trolled...

image.thumb.png.ac1292288414136f31e2197b80015784.png

I got all excited, wondering if this RE just might mean... ?

But no, LIES!!!

lol. I mean I knew there'd be no avatar-gaining items there, but I couldn't help a little shortening of breath, regardless. ?

34 minutes ago, Nielo said:

@jellysundae I know the feeling! I got that RE the other day as wel... while I was already at the dump.

Dumb-RE.jpg

Maybe we're just being judgey, piles of dung maybe ARE exciting for that guy. ?

2 hours ago, redespeon said:

Ever if technically available, doesn't the spawn of items in the dump change with the number of users refreshing it?

With the userbase decliining as it is, and the qualifying items being so sparse, this might as well be unobtainable.

The amount of items definitely seems related to the amount of users refreshing, but the rarity of the items may not be related to that at all. This is what JN has to say about it:

Debunked Mechanics

There was a common theory that the more people went there to refresh, better quality items would show up and more often. However TNT stated in an editorial that this wasn't the case:

Once and for all can you answer this question? At the Rubbish Dump, does the amount of people refreshing there have any effect on the number of items or the rarity of the items appearing at the dump? Also, are people allowed to create threads on the NeoBoards setting times to go to the Rubbish Dump and refresh? (please don't show my username)

No, this is a rumour that was started by a player. While it's a good hypothesis, that's not how the dump works, sorry.

From Neopian Times, Issue 251, August 4, 2006

However, TNT's assertion in this case seems to be false. It has been observed that the amount of items that appear at the Rubbish Dump does in fact increase when there are more users and page refreshes occurring.

So while TNT denies that rarity/amount of items are in any way affected by the amount of users refreshing, there definitely seem to be more items there these days, with everyone on the look-out for this avatar.

I never used to visit the rubbish dump much before (I wasn't even aware valuable items could show up there until this whole avatar business), but when I used to visit it, it'd either be empty, or there'd be 2 or 3 items. Lately there have often been 10+ items when I checked it, so I do believe more people are checking the dump (And Neopets still has a ton of users, so even if it's past its heyday, it's nowhere near deserted). It seems that the rare items just aren't being released. The two times people managed to get the avvie, they were released in batches, so a lot of people could get the avatar around the same time, but I don't think there have been any (true) reports about people finding a single rare item and getting the avatar afterwards. It's like the items had to be released manually, and they only did it twice. With the amount of items I've seen at the dump lately, and the amount of people at the dump trying to get the avvie, I'd have expected at least a handful of people reporting that they'd gotten it, if the items were actually being released.

Well there's currently 3 of us refreshing.

image.png.0c81a88a856638503b394028e4236d9e.png

let's see what happens...

4 now...

image.png.b224f295c1b55158e5f21041e0503333.png

Everyone didn't hang around. Pretty sure it doesn't show everyone who's there though, I've refreshed a while and not shown up before. But I've spent time here before and there's only been me showing up, and big amounts of stuff have appeared when there was only 2 or 3 things when I started.

Is the recommended time still 1am -2 am NST Time (which is 3 am -4 am my CMT in the US)? techo_yawning.gif  peophin_grey_sleep.gif If I were to get up then, my dad would think I was doing a voluntary prayer and then be angry that I was planning to play a game.  bearog_yes_no.gif 

1 hour ago, midnight_spell360 said:

Is the recommended time still 1am -2 am NST Time (which is 3 am -4 am my CMT in the US)?

Hmm, vague recollections about this... I need to find what Herdy said on JN...

*Terminator voice*

I'll be back.

*returns*

AHA‼

image.png.dddf6626b53674b26a579cf58800aac9.png

• 3 weeks later...