No sound in Neo Games while playing on FIrefox??? PLEASE HELP??? TYSVM!!!

ROSE OF AVALON

I have no sound while playing games on Neopets?  Did I touch something by accident that I should not have?  Can someone please help me to get my sound back?  I have sound on YouTube and other areas, but not while playing Neopets games?

This all happened after the windows 10 update two days ago.  I'm on Firefox.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. Use the 'Edit' button or Multi Quote to reply to more than one post at once.
Per the reason above, please review our SPAM rules.

This is interesting, I also use Firefox on Windows 10 and for a while now have had the complete opposite problem, the tab mute doesn't work any more. So I wonder if an update will have any impact upon that... ?

1 hour ago, ROSE OF AVALON said:

Yantato,

What TAB are you referring to?

Firefox has a mute button built into each tab, if there's something that makes noise on the page you've just opened up it will show up. It lives next to the X to shut the tab down.

I shall torment myself with Kiko Pop to take a screen shot. *heroic pose* ?? *eye twitch*

vLu4OBi.jpg

But clicking on it doesn't work any more. ?

This site provides some sound-related trouble shooting tips. Their main advice seems to be to check if your plugins are up to date though. Perhaps you need to update Flash?

@jellysundae This old bug report also links Flash to the mute button not working... Any chance it could be a Flash issue for you? (I'd be soooo annoyed if that mute button stopped working! I was so excited when they first introduced that - I mute everything.)

1 hour ago, Nielo said:

@jellysundae This old bug report also links Flash to the mute button not working... Any chance it could be a Flash issue for you? (I'd be soooo annoyed if that mute button stopped working! I was so excited when they first introduced that - I mute everything.)

I've no idea, I have looked into it myself but because of the MS my ability to understand the things I find is very limited, so I tend to just give up. :blush: It's not a huge big deal, I can just mute everything with the speaker control if I need stuff to shut up. I'll just patiently wait for things to magically fix themselves. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I've no idea, I have looked into it myself but because of the MS my ability to understand the things I find is very limited, so I tend to just give up. :blush: It's not a huge big deal, I can just mute everything with the speaker control if I need stuff to shut up. I'll just patiently wait for things to magically fix themselves. :ph34r:

So sorry you have MS ? I see you play Menewsha, Yantato . . . I have been trying for two days now to get to play that game, and I do not receive any notifications in my e-mail so that I can play the game?  Is there an issue with Menewsha or do you know if there is a way that I can get to play it?

Thank You!!! ?

Flash does seems like a good thing to check. Flash did have an update earlier this week. Latest version is 31.0.0.153. Also, it might help to clear Firefox's "cache", too.

This could be a "long shot", but maybe check the following:

1. In Firefox, go to Neopets.

2. Once there, click on the circle with the "i" in the center, located to the left of the Neopets web address, in Firefox's address bar.

3. Where it shows "www.neopets.com" and "Connection is not secure", click on the arrow pointing right ("Show connection details").

4. Next, at the bottom, click on "More Information".

5. In the new pop-up window that opens, at the top, click on the "Permissions" icon/tab.

6. Look for "Automatically Play Media with Sound".

7. Make sure it is set to "Use Default", or "Allow" - "Use Default" should show the "Allow" radio button set, but greyed-out.

8. If you had to change that setting, close that pop-up window, and refresh the Neopets web page. See if sound is working, again.

Not sure how you could have turned that option off, but it could explain why sound is only affected on Neopets.

3 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Flash does seems like a good thing to check. Flash did have an update earlier this week. Latest version is 31.0.0.153. Also, it might help to clear Firefox's "cache", too.

This could be a "long shot", but maybe check the following:

1. In Firefox, go to Neopets.

2. Once there, click on the circle with the "i" in the center, located to the left of the Neopets web address, in Firefox's address bar.

3. Where it shows "www.neopets.com" and "Connection is not secure", click on the arrow pointing right ("Show connection details").

4. Next, at the bottom, click on "More Information".

5. In the new pop-up window that opens, at the top, click on the "Permissions" icon/tab.

6. Look for "Automatically Play Media with Sound".

7. Make sure it is set to "Use Default", or "Allow" - "Use Default" should show the "Allow" radio button set, but greyed-out.

8. If you had to change that setting, close that pop-up window, and refresh the Neopets web page. See if sound is working, again.

Not sure how you could have turned that option off, but it could explain why sound is only affected on Neopets.

SCOOBERT!!! YA DID IT!!!  TYSVM!!! ?  I NOW HAVE SOUND!!! WOOT!!! WOOT!!! ? ? ? 

On 11/20/2018 at 10:51 AM, jellysundae said:

Firefox has a mute button built into each tab, if there's something that makes noise on the page you've just opened up it will show up. It lives next to the X to shut the tab down.

I shall torment myself with Kiko Pop to take a screen shot. *heroic pose* ?? *eye twitch*

vLu4OBi.jpg

But clicking on it doesn't work any more. ?

Just curious. Does the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+M) work to mute/unmute the tabs?

4 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Just curious. Does the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+M) work to mute/unmute the tabs?

No, it doesn't. I'm trying to remember now when the mute stopped working... see I did share a full mug of tea with my laptop, just 4 weeks after getting it. :blush: My shift keys stopped working after that, but I don't think the tab mute broke then too, that was back in the Spring, and the mute fail is a lot more recent.

9 hours ago, jellysundae said:

No, it doesn't. I'm trying to remember now when the mute stopped working... see I did share a full mug of tea with my laptop, just 4 weeks after getting it. :blush: My shift keys stopped working after that, but I don't think the tab mute broke then too, that was back in the Spring, and the mute fail is a lot more recent.

I did the same thing once, also with a new laptop. XD I eventually had to bring it in to get fixed, as more and more keys stopped working. ?

While I could see how tea could kill your entire laptop, I can't see how it could affect the tab mute function.

I vaguely remember my tab mute button function being broken a few years ago, but I can't remember if the issue was on my side, or Firefox's, or how it got fixed. So that's not much help, sorry. XD (Btw, does right-clicking on your tab and choosing 'mute tab' work? Considering the keyboard shortcut doesn't work either, I don't expect it will, but I'm curious.)

It's still only my shift keys that don't work. *touches wood* Writing it's not the same as saying it out-loud, right?? :ph34r:

I've done well learning what the alt codes are so I can still use punctuation. ? Though I do have them written down on a post-it right here next to me, I know what the ones I use all the time are now.

• ? = 63
  • ! = 33

and I'm not listing any more because I'm getting in SUCH a mess with turning the number lock on and off and typing the wrong thing that I give up. ?

I shall subject myself to Kiko Pop once again to check the right-click mute... the things I do‼ (alt 19 ?)

Nope, it doesn't work. The little speaker icon gets crossed through, but it LIESSSS. ?

Impressive, using the alt codes!

That's just evil! So basically Firefox can't be muted at all (without muting all sound)? Very odd. (Googling this pretty much only results in tips on how to get sound working again, and looking around the sound settings on my laptop doesn't really give me any idea on how to fix this either.)

17 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Thanks for letting me know. But, this one is sure a puzzler. If I cam find/think of anything, I'll post, but, for now, I'm out of ideas. At least sound works. Hard to say which is really better - having sound, or having no sound, but I'd rather have sound, as there are other ways you can mute it.

@Scoobert_Doo it IS a puzzler, isn't it! But it's not really a problem, as you says, there's other ways to shut things up. Quite possibly if I un- and re-installed Firefox it might fix it?

But that's filed firmly in the too much faff category for me (that's a VERY big category in my life now) so the likelihood of me trying it out is about...

*holds finger and thumb 1mm apart* :ph34r:

@jellysundae I did some more googling and ended up on a thread (from a few weeks ago), from someone whose problem sounds the same as yours, that had several suggestions, including one that worked for that person:

The one that worked:

- Installing 64-bit Firefox.

Other things you could try first:

- Go to the about:config page and check if the value of media.autoplay.allow-muted is true.

- "Refresh" Firefox. This apparently saves most of your settings (like bookmarks, history, passwords and cookies), but you might lose some toolbar customisations and preferences. (There's a more detailed description of how to do this in the thread I linked to above).

4 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

OMG @Nielo making me do technical stuff!  *klaxons sound* ?

?

Sooo, I'm using 64-bit Firefox, aaand...

vQmLxdI.jpg

?‍♀️

It's not wanting this to be sorted out, is it? xD

Lol, looks you're managing the technical stuff just fine. :D

But man, this thing really wants to remain a very annoying mystery! XD

11 minutes ago, Nielo said:

Lol, looks you're managing the technical stuff just fine. :D

But man, this thing really wants to remain a very annoying mystery! XD

Luck so far, lol, got to work out how to refresh Firefox now. ?

Did you check in your volume mixer that firefox isn't muted? Clicking the speaker icon should either give an option to open the mixer or just open it as the mixer. You can set a volume per running program. So make sure your firefox is running when you check it, just to make sure.

13 minutes ago, Duma said:

Did you check in your volume mixer that firefox isn't muted? Clicking the speaker icon should either give an option to open the mixer or just open it as the mixer. You can set a volume per running program. So make sure your firefox is running when you check it, just to make sure.

If I have a volume mixer I've not found it, I have a simple volume slider down on my taskbar and that's what I use.

I've refreshed Firefox and currently wanting to die, lol. Everything's gone, all my bookmarks and saved passwords, it SAID that didn't happen, I'm sure they're in the Old Firefox Data folder it created on my desktop, but I dunno what to do with that. ?

I've yet to try and see if this actually achieved anything, LOL.

EDIT

Ok, re-synced Firefox so got everything back, which MAY just have undone anything the refresh achieved ofc. ?

22 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

If I have a volume mixer I've not found it, I have a simple volume slider down on my taskbar and that's what I use.

I've refreshed Firefox and currently wanting to die, lol. Everything's gone, all my bookmarks and saved passwords, it SAID that didn't happen, I'm sure they're in the Old Firefox Data folder it created on my desktop, but I dunno what to do with that. ?

I've yet to try and see if this actually achieved anything, LOL.

EDIT

Ok, re-synced Firefox so got everything back, which MAY just have undone anything the refresh achieved ofc. ?

To find the volume mixer, right-click on the speaker icon in your taskbar. But considering your volume won't turn off, I doubt Firefox will be set to mute.

Oh no! I'm sorry for linking you to that advice! ? I'm glad you managed to get everything back though!
At this point, I doubt the refresh would've fixed your issue anyway though. XD

6 minutes ago, Nielo said:

To find the volume mixer, right-click on the speaker icon in your taskbar. But considering your volume won't turn off, I doubt Firefox will be set to mute.

Oh no! I'm sorry for linking you to that advice! ? I'm glad you managed to get everything back though!
At this point, I doubt the refresh would've fixed your issue anyway though. XD

I was horrified that YOU'D be horrified about me losing my stuff, lol. I honestly can't recommend syncing Firefox enough, losing all the bookmarked stuff on my toolbar and in my actual bookmarks would be bad enough, but losing all my saved passwords would be disastrous. ?

Right, let's see if there's been some ninja muting goin' on! :ph34r: