Flash vs HTML5

Poopiepaws

I am at a lost as to why my Flash player quit working in Neopets. I've spent the last 3-4 days trying to restore it. I am so ready to give up. Isn't Neopets suppose to be dumping Flash for something else that hopefully works better. I can't Explore or Play Games in Neopets! What a drag!

I've been playing Neopets over 17 years!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. Use the 'Edit' button or Multi Quote to reply to more than one post at once.
Per the reason above, please review our SPAM rules.

December 2020, Adobe Flash will be no longer. Until then, Neopets will have to convert all Flash content/games to HTML5. They have already converted some of the Neopian Maps, like Brightvale, Meridell, and The Lost Desert. There are about 300 games to convert, too. They have been in the process of converting things over, but with the amount of staff they have, it's going to take sometime.

In the meantime, what browser are you using, and what operating system does your computer/laptop use? Chrome, in particular, deliberately disables Flash every time you close and reopen it. There used to be a way to keep it from doing that, but Chrome removed that feature, too. I have also heard of issues with Mac OS X Mojave, Safari, and Flash, too, but, so far, haven't heard of a fix or work-around. If you are using a Mac with Mojave, you might try using/installing Firefox or Chrome, and see if those work.

Here is a TDN link for enabling Flash for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge:

http://thedailyneopets.com/articles/enabling-flash-on-neopets/

I have trying for days to get Flash to work. I use IE with Google (or Chrome I think(?), but I have tried using Foxfire. Nothing seems to get the Flash to work consistently or even at all. I will try the link you left tomorrow. Thank you so much for the reply. Hope this works

On 12/30/2018 at 7:44 PM, Poopiepaws said:

I have trying for days to get Flash to work. I use IE with Google (or Chrome I think(?), but I have tried using Foxfire. Nothing seems to get the Flash to work consistently or even at all. I will try the link you left tomorrow. Thank you so much for the reply. Hope this works

Unfortunately, there are different versions of Flash, for the different types of browsers, so Flash isn't a "one size fits all" type of plugin. Internet Explorer 11 and Edge use a type of Flash called "ActiveX". Google Chrome, and its variants (Opera is based on Chrome and is a popular one) use a "PPAPI" version of Flash, and Firefox and Safari use a "NPAPI" version of Flash.

Windows 10 has Flash within it for Internet Explorer/Edge and it is updated through Windows Updates. You may want to check for Windows Updates to make sure you have the latest Flash for those browsers. However, you will still have to enable Flash, as it is disabled by default, for both browsers. The TDN link only shows enabling Flash for Edge, though.

Chrome has Flash "built-in", meaning it is part of Chrome. It is usually updated with Chrome updates and I believe updates automatically, when there are Flash only updates, but you can manually "check" for Flash updates. As with Internet Explorer 11 and Edge, Chrome, too, disables Flash, by default. However, as I mentioned above, Chrome now disables Flash every time you close and reopen Chrome. So, if you close and reopen Chrome, or you reboot your computer,  or it reboots, you will have to re-enable Flash. It is deliberate, unfortunately.

Firefox and Safari don't have Flash "built-in", like Chrome. You will have to download Flash for Firefox/Safari from Adobe's web site. Once downloaded and installed, like the other browsers, Firefox and Safari disable Flash by default, so you will have to enable it. Once enabled, though, unlike Chrome, it will stay enabled, for the most part. When you install Flash for Firefox/Safari, it will ask if you wish for it to check for and automatically update. So, if you have tried using Firefox, but Flash didn't work, or you did not see the "block icon" or "Run Adobe Flash" option, as the instructions mention, you may need to download and install Flash for Firefox, first, before trying to enabling it.

Hope you get it working!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 5:01 AM, Scoobert_Doo said:

December 2020, Adobe Flash will be no longer. Until then, Neopets will have to convert all Flash content/games to HTML5. They have already converted some of the Neopian Maps, like Brightvale, Meridell, and The Lost Desert. There are about 300 games to convert, too. They have been in the process of converting things over, but with the amount of staff they have, it's going to take sometime.

In the meantime, what browser are you using, and what operating system does your computer/laptop use? Chrome, in particular, deliberately disables Flash every time you close and reopen it. There used to be a way to keep it from doing that, but Chrome removed that feature, too. I have also heard of issues with Mac OS X Mojave, Safari, and Flash, too, but, so far, haven't heard of a fix or work-around. If you are using a Mac with Mojave, you might try using/installing Firefox or Chrome, and see if those work.

Here is a TDN link for enabling Flash for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge:

http://thedailyneopets.com/articles/enabling-flash-on-neopets/

I tried this but it doesn't work. I have not been able to play kiko pop, coconut pop and other pages that requires flash for a week now ?

"Run this plugin" usually works but now it doesn't respond.

Picture8.png

19 hours ago, Dilley88 said:

I tried this but it doesn't work. I have not been able to play kiko pop, coconut pop and other pages that requires flash for a week now ?

"Run this plugin" usually works but now it doesn't respond.

Picture8.png

Which browser are you using, please? And on what type of computer (ie Windows 7, Windows 10, Mac OS X Mojave, etc)?

If you are using Chrome, is it version 71.0.3578.98?

Have you made sure Adobe Flash is updated? The latest version is 32.0.0.114, and was released around 8 January 2019.

I just found out, last night, that Edge no longer has an "Always Allow" option for Flash, but only "Allow Once", and even if you have Adobe Flash set to "on", not all (or many) pages on Neopets will run, or even ask to run Flash. It seems the 1809 update changed that, and it is by design - part of Microsoft's "road map" for depreciating Flash for Edge. However, it will still work with Internet Explorer 11. But, just so you know, IE 11 does not work well with Neopets. Trudy's Surprise often doesn't load, and reCAPTCHAs don't always work. Somethings will work and other might not.

So, while those instructions may work now, it is possible they may change, due to browser developers phasing out/depreciating Flash within the next year.

5 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Which browser are you using, please? And on what type of computer (ie Windows 7, Windows 10, Mac OS X Mojave, etc)?

If you are using Chrome, is it version 71.0.3578.98?

Have you made sure Adobe Flash is updated? The latest version is 32.0.0.114, and was released around 8 January 2019.

I just found out, last night, that Edge no longer has an "Always Allow" option for Flash, but only "Allow Once", and even if you have Adobe Flash set to "on", not all (or many) pages on Neopets will run, or even ask to run Flash. It seems the 1809 update changed that, and it is by design - part of Microsoft's "road map" for depreciating Flash for Edge. However, it will still work with Internet Explorer 11. But, just so you know, IE 11 does not work well with Neopets. Trudy's Surprise often doesn't load, and reCAPTCHAs don't always work. Somethings will work and other might not.

So, while those instructions may work now, it is possible they may change, due to browser developers phasing out/depreciating Flash within the next year.

I've downloaded the latest Adobe Flash and now it works! Thank you~ I thought the flash plugin in Chrome would've been updated automatically ?