Resolving host... (Chrome/Internet issue)

deboratibi

Hey guys! ^_^ So, I've been having a "Resolving host..." issue with Chrome, meaning that pages are slow to load if they load at all. I keep seeing "Resolving host..." and "Waiting for neopets.com..." (same with other urls) on the status bar. Then a while later, I'll get a "Unable to connect to the internet" error, even though I am connected. Once I get this error, the only way to "fix" it is by restarting my computer. Resetting my router makes no difference. After restarting my computer, I can browse the internet for about a couple of hours before I get the error message again.

Before I continue, here's some possibly relevant info-
Computer: An 8+ year old Sony Vaio laptop
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Basic
Browser: Google Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Other: I had a new router installed (not by me) about a month ago. But this issue has been going on for a little over a week.

Anyway, I looked up this issue, and it appears to be DNS / proxy related. Not that I know what that means, but I've found lists of things to try, so here's what I've tried so far:

• Checked for Malware on Malware Bytes, Spybot, RKill and Avast
  • Changed DNS server to public DNS server
  • Disabled "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)"
  • Ran a bunch of commands on Command Prompt
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset
  • Unchecked "Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly" option in Chrome settings

Another common suggestion seems to be: "Uncheck 'Automatically Detect Settings' in LAN settings", but I'm unable to do that because the box is greyed out. Apparently I don't have permission, even though I'm the only user on my computer and I supposedly am the administrator. I read that I could change this via a Group Policy editor, but alas, I don't have one (apparently because my OS is the Home Basic variety). So the alternative would be to mess around with regedit. I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet and disabled "ProxyEnable" by changing the value from 1 to 0. It made no difference. I don't know where I'd need to go to fix this "Automatically Detect Settings" thing... Assuming this is what I actually need to do, of course. I'm pretty lost.

Please note that I don't actually understand what I'm talking about, I'm just parroting what I gathered from instructions.

If anyone can help me with this, I will be forever grateful :blush02:

I'm not familiar with this error (or the solutions), but I did some googling too, and found these things (which may be no help at all, or the might be similar to what you've already tried, but I figured I'd post them anyway):

- The first answer to this question suggests using a different regedit to change the value of the box:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\DefaultConnectionSettings

Look for byte number 8 (starts at 0 so count 9).

Here's the values it can have:

Byte number 8 can take different values as per your settings.
The value is :
09 when only 'Automatically detect settings' is enabled
03 when only 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' is enabled
0B when both are enabled
05 when only 'Use automatic configuration script' is enabled
0D when 'Automatically detect settings' and 'Use automatic configuration script' are enabled
07 when 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' and 'Use automatic configuration script' are enabled
0F when all the three are enabled.
01 when none of them are enabled.
The next three bytes are zeros (Bytes 9 to B)

You probably want to set this from 09 (enabled) to 01 (disabled).

- Solution 1 on this page consists of making a bat file which sounds similar to the commands you've alread tried (but longer), so it might not do much. It also lists a bunch of different solutions though, so maybe one of those could help? (Provided this isn't one of the pages you already found and tried everything from.)

1. With Chrome, are you using any extensions or plugins? If yes, then try disabling them all, and see if things work normally. If they do, then it is one of the extensions or plugins causing the issue.

2. Do you use a VPN client? If yes, try logging out or disabling the VPN client and try to see if things are working normally. If it does, then it could be an issue with the VPN client.

3. Does your ISP (Internet Service Provider) require you to use a proxy server to connect to the Internet? This isn't very common.

4. My apologies if I didn't understand correctly, but does it only happen when or on www.neopets.com, or does it happen with other web sites, too? If it is only on or when going to Neopets, then Neopets could be having issues, especially if Neopets seems "laggy". If it happens with all sites, then it could be your Internet connection or a DNS issue. Your ISP should be able to tell you if they are experiencing any issues on their end.

5. Have you tried with another browser, like Firefox or Internet Explorer? If it doesn't happen with another browser, then something may have changed with Chrome. Uninstalling Chrome, rebooting, then reinstalling Chrome might help.

6. What DNS servers are you using or changed them to? If you changed your DNS servers and it is still happening, then it might not be a DNS issue. It would seem to be either network related (ISP) or something with your computer.

7. Is anyone else in your neighborhood using the same ISP and experiencing the same problem or does anyone in your household experience the same? If your neighbors are experiencing the same thing, then, it would seem ISP related. If others in your household are experiencing the same, then it could be your Internet connection.

8. Have you tried contacting your ISP to see if they are having any issues? Someone may have to come out and check your Internet connectivity/connections.

EDIT: Try typing Neopets IP Address into Chrome's Address bar or clicking this link and see if you are able to get to Neopets:

http://23.96.32.148

If it works, but www.neopets.com still gives you issues, then it could be DNS.

Has your computer received any Windows Updates within the last week? The last update for Windows 7 was on Dec 11, 2018. Take a look here, for known issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4471318/windows-7-update-kb4471318

According to the article, "After you apply this update, the network interface controller may stop working on some client software configurations. This occurs because of an issue related to a missing file, oem<number>.inf. The exact problematic configurations are currently unknown."

It's possible that could be happening, which might explain why a reboot would get you working again, but then later cause you to lose connectivity.

@Nielo Nope, I hadn't seen that page! I tried the bat file - nothing happened, then I tried the hosts file - it made things worse, so I changed it back, lol. I'm afraid I might have to contact my ISP :guiltysmiley: I was really dreading that option.

@Scoobert_Doo 
1. I hadn't tried that, but I did now - sadly, it didn't work
2. No, I don't use VPN!
3. I don't think so
4. It happens with other sites too
5. Yes, it's happening with other browsers too... :\
6. I tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, as well as 4.4.2.1 and 4.4.2.2
7. I don't talk to my neighbours, lol. I asked my brother, and he says he isn't having issues, but I'm not sure I believe him
8. I haven't, because I was really trying to avoid them, lol. But I guess I ran out of options now, huh? :sad02:

I was able to access neopets from the IP address, and still had issues. I can't remember if I got a Windows Update recently, so I guess I didn't.

I will contact my ISP later today, hopefully they'll solve it. I'll let you guys know what happens! Thank you so much for your help :heart:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 11:19 AM, deboratibi said:

@Nielo Nope, I hadn't seen that page! I tried the bat file - nothing happened, then I tried the hosts file - it made things worse, so I changed it back, lol. I'm afraid I might have to contact my ISP :guiltysmiley: I was really dreading that option.

@Scoobert_Doo 
1. I hadn't tried that, but I did now - sadly, it didn't work
2. No, I don't use VPN!
3. I don't think so
4. It happens with other sites too
5. Yes, it's happening with other browsers too... ?
6. I tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, as well as 4.4.2.1 and 4.4.2.2
7. I don't talk to my neighbours, lol. I asked my brother, and he says he isn't having issues, but I'm not sure I believe him
8. I haven't, because I was really trying to avoid them, lol. But I guess I ran out of options now, huh? :sad02:

I was able to access neopets from the IP address, and still had issues. I can't remember if I got a Windows Update recently, so I guess I didn't.

I will contact my ISP later today, hopefully they'll solve it. I'll let you guys know what happens! Thank you so much for your help :heart:

Did you ever get this figured out?