Concerns about billing/fraud issues

Secretly A Pony

*quietly* Hi.

So until recently, I hadn't played Neopets for a few years, but I still had access to my old accounts because I kept the passwords. I still enjoy the site and I've been thinking about buying Premium. My worry is I've read of issues with customer service and payment fraud. I did have Premium once and liked it, but it was for a short time and it was my mother's credit/debit card. It's not that I"m tight on money. I've dealt with fraud before, and it was not fun to get it cleared up. I don't mind paying some real money for some extra features (I've spent money on app games; I don't have a leg to stand on to judge), but searching "is premium worth it" in Google brought me to some... unsettling situations I don't want to risk dealing with (the worst being freezing accounts that dispute unauthorized charges).

I guess the question here is are those problems common enough to worry about? Again, I hadn't been around Neopets for some years until recently, so I don't know what their reputation with customer service is.

EDIT: I also asked this question on Reddit. So far, the only answer mentions TNT has been heard to freeze accounts of users who ask for a chargeback. Yikes!

Welcome to TDN! :D

I don't have premium myself, so I can't provide any personal experiences, but this thread (which also includes links to two other threads) has some info on people's experiences with premium.

Neopets doesn't have the best rep when it comes to customer service, but - from what I've heard (again, no personal experience) - issues with premium/NC stuff get dealt with quicker (probably because there's real money involved).

I don't use Premium, either, but I have heard of individuals paying for Premium via PayPal. That way, if there are Premium payment issues, they can dispute it with PayPal and get their money back. Personally, I never heard of anyone having their account frozen for asking for a Premium "charge back". That would be bad for business, I think. I have heard of issues with people paying for Premium, but Premium not being enabled for their account, but it seems they (JS/TNT) try to resolve those issues somewhat quickly.

BTW, nice profile pic!

They used to have issues with Premium a while back but I believe they got a new online merchant some years ago and I haven't really heard of those horror stories since.... but that's not to say they don't still happen. 

As with anything, it's a 'do at your own risk' and the Premium page states that all sales are final/there will be no refunds from them.

If you can only safely afford X number of months, make sure to turn off auto renewal in your settings and let your mum be aware you've made the purchase.

You should be good to go!

EDIT: Their security certificate expired over the weekend, so you should wait until that has been restored before purchasing. That will give you some more time to make the right decision too ? 

I do have premium. I've had it for at least 6 or 7 years. I have never had a problem. I use PayPal and Neopets automatically charges each year (I do yearly). I always get a message letting me know I have been renewed. I have never had a problem, just lucky I guess? Since I don't have the premium on my sides I am happy to have it on the Main. No mads is the biggie for me and the SSW. Of course there are other perks as well. I recommend getting it but good luck in whatever you choose.

2 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

...let your mum be aware you've made the purchase.

Oh, no, this would be with my credit/debit card. I was a teenager back then. I'm in my mid-twenties, so no more using Mom's card.

1 hour ago, Secretly A Pony said:

Oh, no, this would be with my credit/debit card. I was a teenager back then. I'm in my mid-twenties, so no more using Mom's card.

Perfect! 

As long as you make sure to uncheck the auto-renewal as soon as you sign up, you shouldn't have anything to worry about (provided you have the funds in your account).

I've gotten pretty positive responses so far, from here and Reddit. It's true there's a risk to everything. I would know that well (student loans...)!

I'm going to give it a shot. I'll go with the monthly offer first. If I still like it and have no trouble, I'll upgrade it to the quarterly one and keep it at that. In total, it would be only $5 more than the yearly subscription. I can spare an extra $5.

I don't remember all of the perks, but I do remember what I liked most was the Super Shop Wizard and the additional pet slot.

Thank you for the responses. To be honest, I'm naturally anxious about a lot of things. The positivity while still being real (acknowledging those things can happen, but they're uncommon and years old problems) helps.

7 hours ago, Granny63020 said:

I do have premium. I've had it for at least 6 or 7 years. I have never had a problem. I use PayPal and Neopets automatically charges each year (I do yearly). I always get a message letting me know I have been renewed. I have never had a problem, just lucky I guess? Since I don't have the premium on my sides I am happy to have it on the Main. No mads is the biggie for me and the SSW. Of course there are other perks as well. I recommend getting it but good luck in whatever you choose.

I agree totally with granny. I've had premium for years with no issues and also use PayPal.

I clicked the link mentioned above and the first thing I see is dates of 2013 and back. So most likely the problems aren't happening anymore. Neopets has been bought by another company since then. I don't have premium myself, nor have I ever had it so I can't speak from experience but if I would think of getting it, like you I would do research, but I would only pay attention to stuff from max 2 years ago. Even 2 years is a long time so things might have been resolved since then.