Not too long now before those Charity Corner perks end...

jellysundae

I was just realising how salty I'm gonna be when the Bank Bribery and Cheaper By The Dozen perks expire. ?

Got very used to only paying 10k for my daily stocks, and my bank interest's just tipped over into 21k per day... To have to start paying 5k more for my stocks, whilst earning 5k less at the bank is gonna make for one grumpy Jelly for a while there, just warning ya. :ph34r:

People on the boards feel CC won't be until the end of March as these perks last a year and that's when last year's was. I wonder what I'll manage to get my interest up to before it drops...

I'm really interested to see what they do with this year's, people on the boards are pretty convinced TNT won't follow last year's format because "everyone" hated it. I wish we could actually know what everyone did think of it. I didn't enjoy it as much as previous years because part of the fun is seeing what item you got in return, isn't it, but I didn't hate it, and I've certainly not hated an entire year of cheap stocks and higher bank interest‼ I think for all those everyone's who complained, maybe they are made up of people who didn't give enough to get the good perks, hmm? ?

My preparation strategy has altered slightly, I've never bought anything, just saved/collected free things, for last year's I hoarded books and food from the Money Tree and as it turned out a lot of it didn't even get used because the majority of it was r74 or less and I used all my rare, and then uncommon items first (oh and 700+ pieces of obsidian ?) this made me realise that I'm likely to do ok with CC whatever criteria they set.

So this past year my Money Tree stalking's been for r85+ items, I've got quite good at knowing what a lot of the items are, though it does still catch me out quite often, rude words ensue when I realise, lol. I'm pretty sure that this time too a lot of what I've collected won't be of much use, but ?‍♀️ as @Granny63020 says, easy come, easy go!

I still look forward to CC, regardless of how the boards try to convince us the entire site hates it with a passion, lol.

So what about you guys? Prep? Opinions?

i haven't thought about it really

my interest will probably only drop 1k

and i didn't use the Stocks perk as i haven't dealt with them in a long time

so que sera sera ... not sure what this year's format will be ... but i've been collecting items as well

I didn't actually know about this so thanks for the post!

As it happens I've been filling my SDB with all sorts of things while working on packrat, I guess I'll keep on saving things until CC now, I had planned on having a massive donate/shop stock when I got to 1000 unique items so you've saved me from messing up :D 

I hoarded for the last one expecting it to be the same format as the one before and got 100k r90s. Was not happy when it changed. Oh, I got gold, still have thousands of points left and yes, got cheap stocks and interest which is great, but I hated the new format. The thrill of donating and getting something back can't compare to donating and seeing your point total go up by one. Plus, the boons were a weird mix of great and rubbish.

I still have a lot left from that year of hoarding and I kept on in a less full-on way, so I have around 55k in r90s and many r80s so I'm set up for whatever they throw at us but I hope they go back to the fun kind of CC

58 minutes ago, FreyaFox said:

I am confused. I wanted to participate in the CC last year and was not able to as to my understanding that you could only participate by purchasing stuff with NC and donating it. 

The NC part is always optional (here is TDN's guide on last year's CC), so you didn't need to buy anything to participate. (Items of all categories and rarities could actually be donated last year.) 

@jellysundae Thanks for reminding me! It turns out I still have a ton of points left. XD

1 hour ago, FreyaFox said:

I am confused. I wanted to participate in the CC last year and was not able to as to my understanding that you could only participate by purchasing stuff with NC and donating it. 

No it wasn't about buying NC stuff although there was a NC component too I think. But it does use normal neopet items. Some people theorize its a way for TNT to get people to get rid of items to free up the servers a bit. *shrug* But no, you can participate with normal items. 

I haven't really used up my prize points as yet; I still have 6,357 points to use!! I toyed with the idea of playing School of Dragons to get redeemable codes but never got around to it. I just got the avatar and something else and then never made a decision.... I guess now's the time or never lol. 

I didn't hate it but it was time consuming to move stuff around to donate. 

UPDATE:

Also wish we could share points... I have this odd number and all the perks are perfectly rounded numbers in multiples of 100. I'd like to give someone extra points to make up if they need them. I decided to use mine on the Spiked feature and that could only be applied twice.  School of Dragons boon still says unavailable... Anything else I might be interested in is either 5000 or 10,000 points... so I have 4357 points I probably won't use. <_<

57 minutes ago, jaydeed said:

There might not even be one; it's not a certain event like the AC. So many people dislike aspects of both types so far they might ditch it. And if there was one, it'd be April at the earliest so there's two months left to hoard.

I was thinking this too. I just had a feeling it might not happen, but who knows. 

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, @jellysundae I tend to kind of forget that I have the bank and stock perks, and so I'm sure when they do run out I'll be sad. On the other hand, it's nice to have had them for the whole year, I was amazed initially that they were set up to last that long. It all depends on how high your bank balance is and how actively you participate in the stocks, but added up over the whole year that's got to be a huge gain for people who consistently used those features.

As for this year's CC I'm on the fence. I did like the old style of rewards where you got items in return, although I recall being irritated at the time because I had very few r90+ items the first year I partook in CC and the r90's I got in return for those donations were all fairly common, low-value ones. I watched people brag about getting priceless stamps and weapons and just fumed :grrr: I liked last year's format in the sense that nearly anything was fair game to donate. I know it gets extremely tedious donating 1-point items over and over and over, but I found the resulting near-total purge of my SDB oddly satisfying.

After last year's CC I've basically been hoarding everything, because at this point it's not safe to make any assumptions about this event. Funny thing is, because there's no guaranteed formula for CC, TNT is inadvertently prompting people to hoard LOTS of items, which is basically the exact opposite of the "purpose" of clearing out the servers with the event. Wonder if it's worth it to them to have everything cleaned up and tidy for a week or two when CC ends, and then people start filling that space right up again saving things for another whole year.

I also have a bunch of unused points from last year still sitting in the perks shop, but I'm just under the total for anything else I would want, so they will go to waste. I'm with @acmerasta, I wish we could pool point with others and donate them somehow so that at least they would get used. Seems to me that I recall a mention in the news or the NT about more options being planned so people could spend unused points, but obviously that never happened.

18 hours ago, jaydeed said:

I hoarded for the last one expecting it to be the same format as the one before and got 100k r90s. Was not happy when it changed. Oh, I got gold, still have thousands of points left and yes, got cheap stocks and interest which is great, but I hated the new format. The thrill of donating and getting something back can't compare to donating and seeing your point total go up by one. Plus, the boons were a weird mix of great and rubbish.

I still have a lot left from that year of hoarding and I kept on in a less full-on way, so I have around 55k in r90s and many r80s so I'm set up for whatever they throw at us but I hope they go back to the fun kind of CC

Exactly this. I have thousands of points left and nothing to do with them. That's what I dislike about this format. If I could cash them for a second year of better interest and cheaper stocks then great... but the points just aren't going to get used and that's lame.

7 hours ago, cassandrastorm said:

I have been saving stuff...just in case. I forgot about the points though. How/where do I go to see if I have points left over?

It's here ? http://www.neopets.com/charitycorner/2018/perks/

7 hours ago, DragonPhoenix said:

Funny thing is, because there's no guaranteed formula for CC, TNT is inadvertently prompting people to hoard LOTS of items, which is basically the exact opposite of the "purpose" of clearing out the servers with the event.

I think CC's always had that opposite-to-intended effect, lol. Though I do still think though that clearing out the SDBs of active players is only part of the intent and that the main reason for it was to clear some of the stock out of the shops of abandoned accounts. I checked a LOT of the owners of the shops when I was buying during the 2 previous CCs, and every one of them was "Last Spotted: A long, long time ago" and I checked at least 100, 'cause I'm weird like that. ? It was then that the other reason behind CC became apparent.

The active user base is super-small compared to how it used to be, our crammed SDBs are but a drop in the bucket compared to all those thousands of inactive shops, FULL of bandwidth-hogging items... CC clears a whole lot of them out, and they're gone permanently too, it also neatly takes a lot of NP permanently out of circulation because they're now sat in shop tills that are never gonna get emptied.

Last year's format got us to clear our own SDBs out to a far greater extent than any previous CC will have managed but I'm not sure how sustainable the anything goes format can be, because it lets you dispose of so much, though again those inactive shops will still have a whole lot of stuff available.... Yeah I'm very interested to see what they come up with for the next one.

Inactive accounts are like the storage lockers TV show for me; what's in their SDBs? Did they go into Grave Danger and their petpet found the incredibly rare GD stamp and they'll never know? Wish TNT could get the rare stuff out of them and distribute it via REs or a daily. I mean, at some point, the accts disappear? Or do they stay there forever?

21 minutes ago, Angeló said:

Apply Perk

Experience a new way of playing without ads for a period of 5 days. 
I have 726 points left ... it costs 500
Also i have ad-block
:D

Lol, yeah, thing is though, if it was your job to come up with perks, what would they have been? I know I'd not have been able to come up with much of anything useful, oh, and not have unforeseen consequences either! So I can understand why some of them are pretty pointless.

11 minutes ago, jaydeed said:

Inactive accounts are like the storage lockers TV show for me; what's in their SDBs? Did they go into Grave Danger and their petpet found the incredibly rare GD stamp and they'll never know? Wish TNT could get the rare stuff out of them and distribute it via REs or a daily. I mean, at some point, the accts disappear? Or do they stay there forever?

They're there forever unless they get purged. Taking someone else's stuff and redistributing it's just not ethical, because it is still someone else's stuff, inactive for years or not. If Neo had had something written into the ToS from Day 1 about how once an account's been abandoned for X amount of time it'll be cleared out, like storage lockers - let's say everything just ended up on the Money Tree and the pets pounded - yeah, then fair enough, but I don't see how they could decently work something into things now, it'd be too much of a violation and there'd quite rightly be total uproar about it.

Permanently frozen accounts are really the only ones they could take the items from.

19 minutes ago, jaydeed said:

Redistributing the wealth? What are you, a communist?

The Neopian economy won't bend itself to the will of the proletariat, we will continue on this ruinous capitalistic path until its bitter end.

Heheheh! Fair enough. I know my daughter left her acct dormant for years then her younger sister started, then I got interested (and obsessed) so she went back to her old one. Took a while to remember passwords and such but she got into it and plays now and then when it's an event. Pretty busy at uni now, both of them.

Thanks for this thread, I...actually realized I had totally forgotten to use my points after putting it off when the CC ended ? Here's hoping that the perks will still last a year, though even if it doesn't it's nice to have more bank interest.

I usually just throw EVERYTHING that doesn't get eaten from my dailies into my SDB and always have so CC is usually no sweat for me to participate, lol

• 1 month later...

Seems Hardtotame has opened up a BIG ol' can of worms for herself!! (or if she has any sense, which she does, some intern, lol)

image.png.edaa7bda37e380ddce47b173e524ccb2.png

http://www.jellyneo.net/index.php?comments=12781

So it's looking like my nabbing of any rare items from the Money Tree, regardless of category, is gonna pay off. :D

I'm not even gonna bother looking for the board to see the ludicrous suggestions the majority make, but Jediboy in the comments on JN knows the score, his ideas are (mostly) ones that would work.

I like to think the bank bribery and cheap stocks will remain, because as we've already discussed in here, and, as HTT making a thread asking for suggestions shows, it's TOUGH coming up with perks, so why do away with 2 that are solid?

One I've just though of which I think is realistic: ALL the Shots - a vaccination against every Neopian illness for a whole year.

But if you get to transfer your unused points from last year that would be amazing! I can't remember if I actually tried to use them all on silly things or not, but if it going to be transferable I am going to use my points for only good stuff and keep the rest for other things next year and hope they will keep them transferable!

Edit: I just checked and it looks like I have 450 out of 5001 points left. I know I used some for the 5 days without ads but since I'm using an adblocker I wish I hadn't done that, would have given me another 500. Looking back now, the only one I really wanted was the avatar  and the theme one, and because of that I didn't had enough for the good ones of 5000 points so all the other points were a bit of a waste. I could have had 4950 points lol. I really hope they keep them transferable in the next years, I am only going to pick the rewards I really want!