I can't believe the Neopets community is so...

Secretly A Pony

...generous!

I posted on the Avatar neobards about being loaned an FQD. I didn't ask for it outright. Just how much collateral would be needed. Someone loaned me the doll, no questions asked! That's the third time I've been given something without asking. Only for inquiring about it! I'm so shocked! Thank goodness she neomailed me, or I would've lost her username.

I am definitely not rich, but if I ever get the chance to loan or give someone what they're seeking, I will forward to the kindness! I've been in several fandoms before and had to leave because they proved to be toxic, so Neopets is really the nicest community I've been part of!

tenor.gif

It's sad that in today's world you're shocked by niceness, isn't it. ?

But YAY for the fact that it's Neopians who are being nice! ?

2 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

It's sad that in today's world you're shocked by niceness, isn't it. ?

But YAY for the fact that it's Neopians who are being nice! ?

I think the problem is a lot of communites, are well, rude. I've been on so many MMO's, video games that are played online, and such that the community is VERY toxic, it's always a nice thing to find one that for the most part has never given me any negativity. I believe that's one of the biggest thing that keeps Neopets alive and going so strong because of the people that make this a place that others actually want to login to each day.

That's awesome! And is pretty consistent with my experience too.

Based on my observations, interest groups composed predominantly of women are generally much more cooperative, respectful, celebratory, supportive, and community-oriented: a rising tide lifts all boats. Of course lots and lots of men play Neopets, but I'd wager the player base at this point is majority female, and probably by a lot.

Since I picked up Neopets again, I've spent almost no time in HearthStone because, like ... yeah, toxic. The feel of the Neopets community honestly reminds me a lot of that amazing decade I spent deeply entrenched in the Harry Potter and Merlin fandoms, back in the days of LiveJournal before Tumblr came and ruined everything (meddling kids / get off my lawn / etc). Neopets is still nicer, though, maybe because we're mostly all just dressing up our wee animal paper dolls, and who really wants to go from combing their anthropomorphized dust bunny and feeding their dinosaur to ... well, what we've all seen in Twitch chat. 

Idk why this became a novel, but apparently I have thoughts on the topic.

3 hours ago, teprometo said:

That's awesome! And is pretty consistent with my experience too.

Based on my observations, interest groups composed predominantly of women are generally much more cooperative, respectful, celebratory, supportive, and community-oriented: a rising tide lifts all boats. Of course lots and lots of men play Neopets, but I'd wager the player base at this point is majority female, and probably by a lot.

Interesting, my experiences with online communities/interest groups has been quite different. (The most toxic people I met were mostly women. ? ) I'm glad your experiences have been positive though, and that @Secretly A Pony has encountered such generous Neopians! ?

(Now I'm curious if Neopets' userbase is predominantly female or not, as I'd always thought (based on the posts on the neoboards) it must be pretty evenly divided.)

Yay! I'm glad you had such a nice experience. The few interactions I've had with other users on the site has also been mostly positive. I would say sometimes people are rude on the TP if you wont give them a deep discount (I'm not a reseller or I don't need to get rid of stuff quickly) but trading NC items, getting help with FQ, etc has always been really nice! Whenever I have a spare minute I check the neoboards to see if anyone needs SSW help with FQ.

36 minutes ago, splitting said:

I would say sometimes people are rude on the TP if you wont give them a deep discount

The kind of person who'd try for a big discount is probably a jerk anyway, right? I've had very little experience of the TP, but when I have sold things I've been shocked by the ridiculously low offers I've been made for things, when I've specified a price too. Some pillock offers a QUARTER of what I'm asking I'm gonna be saying no. At least no-one's started arguing when I've rejected the offer, but as I've sold maybe, I dunno, 5 things? There's plenty of time for that yet. ?

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

I've sold maybe, I dunno, 5 things? There's plenty of time for that yet. ?

I've also only sold a handful of things I found in my SDB. I had someone laugh at the price and tell me they could get it much cheaper from another seller... I politely told them they are welcome to buy from that other seller then!

7 hours ago, Nielo said:

Interesting, my experiences with online communities/interest groups has been quite different. (The most toxic people I met were mostly women. ? )  

Now I'm curious if Neopets' userbase is predominantly female or not, as I'd always thought (based on the posts on the neoboards) it must be pretty evenly divided.)

Different corners of the internet, I suppose. Don’t get me wrong—I’ve had some deeply nasty experiences with women in fandom—but the overall vibe of female-majority spaces has felt, to me, less toxic (which also means different things to different people, which I probably shouldn’t get into on a Neopets fan site).

The last time I saw any Neopets user base demographics was probably 3 years ago, so my info could well be outdated and/or misremembered. I try to think of everyone on the internet as gender-neutral until they tell me otherwise, but I do notice myself skewing towards assuming Neopets folks are women more often than I assume they’re men, since I haven’t been able to break my brain of those gender schemas that really dug their claws in during my early childhood development. That’s probably more about me and my own problematic brain than it is about anyone else, and this is excellent insight. Heyyyyy I learned something about myself today.

"Meh" I say, "meh", and not just in the battledome. lol ? I've had good and bad, positive and positively toxic experiences around the net, even on Neopets. While it would be interesting to see a chart and which demographics were kinder, or meaner, or just didn't give a flip. I chalk it up to most people are nice, some people are jerks. And some, you wish you could shove an atomic bomb down their throats. 0;-) Of course some can become your best friend(s) too! Anyway, @Secretly A Pony I'm glad you've had so much positive experiences with Neopets. ^_^

Regarding the TP, probably where I've had the most less-fun experiences on the site, (not counting getting sniped on an Auction though.) LOL But seriously, in trades, if people don't put anything in their lots as to what they want for an item or items, they should really EXPECT inquiries via NM. With or without offers. When I get one, I'm always polite and try to work with them to see if we can do business.

However, most of the times when I'VE been the one writing an inquiry about a lot, either I don't hear back, at all, or they're pretty terse about PURE. (Like I'm bothering them or something.) If they say they want Pure, that's fine, I can usually wait for someone else to put up an item I'm interested in. It's just the attitude of many traders I've contacted or tried to contact that irritates me. I know not all traders are like that. I've had occasion to converse with some who have been VERY kind and helpful, even if ultimately we cannot do business for whatever reason.

Although one thing on trade lots looking for Pure... It's never really "clicked" with me why they don't use the Auction house if they only want NP and no items. By definition, a trading post is a place to trade items and yes, as well as currency at times. Bartering,  negotiations, all are part of trading. Some people, take such offense sometimes to offers of items with and without NP.
Whoops! Guess I got into mini-rant mode. Sorry 'bout that! ^^;

Anyway, been playing this game for 15 years and I while I check the TP every now and then to basically do a price-check on a couple items I'd like, when I'm feeling a little bored, I don't do much trading, or auctioning either. lol But don't take it because one or a couple players have had some negative experiences on a part of the site. Neopets users, for the most part, ARE as you've found them, NICE and HELPFUL people. :D

One time I remember especially well. My peophin was once painted Christmas, then he got a random event where he was turned 'Baby' by Boochi and his ray gun. A friend of mine in the guild I'm in, who sadly no longer plays, gifted me a Christmas Paint Brush. I was so touched, it was actually hard to USE it. LOL I've made some good friends on Neopets, It's kinda sad too, at least for me. The guild I am in, used to be very active with a number of people. But, time moves on, people move on, some decide to quit playing for, whatever reason, and some just simply, pass away. ?

Sorry, I guess I'm just remembering the old days. It's not easy, being one of the youngest in a guild. I've had a number of hiatuses from Neopets up until around the time I joined up here at TDN. The guild's active membership just kept getting smaller and smaller. I think there are 4 of us left who post somewhat regularly. We don't do the LC or MP anymore. Which I don't fully mind, because it was kind of stressful looking for the MP EVERY week. lol Sometimes a couple other members pop-in but don't usually stay. Though it's nice of them to touch-base when they do stop by the guild's board. Hard to believe... I've been playing Neo for so long.. Oh well. It's also somewhat hard to believe I still have interest in it! LOL

Anyway, lol please take my post at face value. You'll have good times, and down times, but overall, hopefully your memories and friendships made through the game will last you a lifetime and be pleasant to look back upon. ^_^