Grey faeries...

Secretly A Pony

A minor thing, but I was wondering what others may think, if anything.

Grey faeries are faeries that have lost all their power and beauty, according to Neopedia. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but:

2r4ptlf.png

This is TNT's idea of ugly?!

Even as a kid, I thought grey faeries were pretty. At worst, she looks like someone who rolled out of bed (and didn't take off her make-up the night before) and even then, she's still pretty. I wish I looked that good when I wake up in the morning!

Her dress isn't that bad either. Just take away the patches. Not to mention, for what's presumably supposed to be a ragged dress, it sure highlights her figure. I didn't know rags were form-fitting.

So, at least in my non-expert fashion opinion, the only ugly thing is her wings, and they don't detract from her beauty. They're just there.

Seriously, TNT, get a dictionary! This is not a faerie who's "lost her beauty".

Agreed.   I understand they don't want to go too far out and make her monsterous or something, but it comes across as really low self-esteem.

"Oh, you helped me with my quest?   You must be the nicest person ever."
Lady, I can see on the quest board at least  three other people helped you in the last half hour.   You got issues.

Yeah I don't understand why beauty even comes into it, it should be nothing but powers. It's odd that they dress her in a patched dress now too. Like @Rayd1978 says it's all showing her as having terrible self-esteem now; powers stripped and now feel so worthless you dress in a tatty old rag?

I don't think they needed to do any more to her than clip her wings. That was a seriously cruel thing to do, wasn't it! Though imaginative, and necessary in a way because how else can you visually respresent a faerie's loss of power? That and the grey colour works well (I wonder what she looked like before?) but the temperament change went a step too far. It's great that she's nice, the other faeries having, well...

Think what they were like to Kaia during the plot, like white privilege princesses basically, but I think that's not so far off how some of them always have been, the snark you get from the fire and dark faeries when you do a quest for them...

Hmm, thinking about it, the grey faerie isn't as bad as she could be in this art, considering how woeful any/every other grey thing it.

I totally understand not wanting to make her look hideous, but at the very least, you'd think she'd look homely. She looks like she merely has bad fashion taste. Heck, take off the patches and darken her dress, and you've got a cute young(looking?) woman in a little black dress, which is definitely considered attractive.

I did look at some old art, but even then, it's not the faerie herself that's ugly. It's still a matter of clothes. Take a look:

latest?cb=20160921135310

She doesn't look as good in this picture, but she's still pretty. It's the rain, dress, and ruined make-up that makes her look bad. She still hasn't "lost her beauty". In this picture, she comes off more as a depressed person who hasn't taken care of herself for a while (which, in real life, is a symptom of depression; go figure).

I agree about the idea of having low self-esteem. That idea reminds me of a friend of mine who recently told me she doesn't like her body because her belly isn't flat. She has a tiny figure and is - excuse me - freaking gorgeous! I was so shocked when she said she dislikes her body.

You are your own worst critic and all that.

6 hours ago, Angeló said:

Grey Faeries are the cutest (after Illusen , of couse) 

I love their hair , their sleepy eyes , their antennae ...

Be careful, there, Angeló. Illusen might hear you. And send Lyra after you, to set you straight.

Well, I guess the Neopedia article is open to interpretation.

After reading it, to me, it seems poor Baelia was imprisoned by Jennumara, who humiliated, tortured, abused, belittled, and made her feel helpless and hopeless, by saying things like, "Lost all her powers, lost all her beauty...", "Lost all hope.", and "a Faerie without wings is completely helpless!" It still begs to answer the questions of how The Grey Faerie lost her powers and lost her wings, though. I feel it was more of a taunt from Jennumara to The Grey Faerie, by saying "lost all her beauty". Maybe, in the Faerie World, faeries who lost all powers and wings are no longer considered "beautiful". But, I don't feel Baelia was never not beautiful, before or after. In any case, The Grey Faerie's story makes Cinderella's seem like Mary Poppins. I'm sure I'd have "issues" after all that, even after being freed. PTSD, when giving quests?

Oh, and I think I found The Grey Faerie's theme song:

5 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Be careful, there, Angeló. Illusen might hear you. And send Lyra after you, to set you straight.

I... don't think he's got anything to worry about then. ?

16 hours ago, Secretly A Pony said:

"In any case, The Grey Faerie's story makes Cinderella's seem like Mary Poppins."

I suggest you watch Cinderella III: A Twist In Time.

Seen it. Don't really count it as part of Cinderella's story, though. Still, not as bad as The Grey Faerie's Story.

12 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I... don't think he's got anything to worry about then. ?

Yes, if he climbs a wall. However, anyone who can jump on a branch on a "tree" that clearly doesn't have any branches, does have some skillz. And, she can fight. I wouldn't want to get caught in a dark alley with her on a bad day.

16 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

However, anyone who can jump on a branch on a "tree" that clearly doesn't have any branches, does have some skillz

Ooh, now I'd not considered this... so she's basically conjuring a surface to stand on where there is none...

but she can't climb a wall...

OH! Maybe what we have here is a Jekyll and Hyde situation? That would be interesting, wouldn't it. ?