Kass Basher bug - farthest whack vanishing

Lielac

The last few days (I came back to Neopets a few days ago), whenever I load up Kass Basher, my farthest whack is always 0 and I have to re-unlock Medium and Hard. I thought it was because I had an outdated version of Flash on Firefox (version 65.0), but I updated Flash from version 26.0 to 32.0 and submitted my 3 scores and then reloaded the page, and again my progress had vanished. Is anyone else getting this bug? Does anyone have a solution?

2 minutes ago, hrtbrk said:

It's likely not a bug but a setting in your browser.

The progress is saved in your browser web cache so make sure your browser doesn't clear it after each time you exit out!

Hope this helps!

Hmmm. When I go to "Manage Cookies and Site Data", www.neopets.com has 5 cookies and 48 KB stored, and neopets.com has 20 cookies and no data stored. Other ##.neopets.com addresses have 1 cookie apiece.

I heard of others on the "Help" and "Games" Neoboard having the same issue. I played yesterday, and today, I had to start with the bread loaf, again, too. I'm using Firefox, version 65, and Adobe Flash Player, version 32.0.0.114. Up until Firefox version 65, I never had this "issue". I suspect it has something to do with "Content Blocking", which used to be called "Tracking Protection", in previous versions. For now, it seems to be Firefox specific, only. I'll have to see if I can figure something out. If I do, I'll post here. But, you aren't the only one it is happening to. And I rarely clear my browsers cache.

It's happening to me too. Also using firefox. I have to start with the bread every time I reload the page. I've tried with and without blocking of trackers and cookies.

3 minutes ago, FreyaFox said:

I just tried the game using Google Chrome and it worked just fine. Maybe try that browser.

On my version of Chrome (Version 72.0.3626.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)), the game just shows up as a gray box, and while in my settings Chrome says it'll ask first before allowing Flash to run, loading the page doesn't get me any "hey do you wanna let Neopets run Flash" popup. Nor do I see a way to manually allow Flash to run on *.neopets.com on Chrome.

3 hours ago, Lielac said:

On my version of Chrome (Version 72.0.3626.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)), the game just shows up as a gray box, and while in my settings Chrome says it'll ask first before allowing Flash to run, loading the page doesn't get me any "hey do you wanna let Neopets run Flash" popup. Nor do I see a way to manually allow Flash to run on *.neopets.com on Chrome.

We've got a guide for that. You may have to do this every time you use Chrome, too. It's a huge pain in the rear.

For now, it only seems to happen with Firefox. In the meantime, I believe I found a "work-around" for Firefox. Interestingly enough, I found it on a site that used to be as "Flash heavy" as Neopets. Hoping some other TDNers, @Duma, @jellysundae, can help confirm this. Working for the past two days, so far.

DISCLAIMER: These instructions will have you access Firefox's advanced settings, and make a change. Modifying the setting could cause Firefox and your computer to be less secure. If you do not feel comfortable changing the setting, please use a different browser, like Chrome, that doesn't have this issue. If you do make the change, you do so, at your own risk. Please note, the setting can be reverted back, at any time, with a Firefox update, or if Firefox decides to change or remove the setting. Or, you can change the setting back yourself, if you wish.

The "work-around" is to change the "dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash" from the default value of "3", to a value of "0". The "0" setting is the lowest, or least restrictive setting.

To make the change:

1. Open Firefox.

2. In Firefox's address bar, type, without the quotes, "about:config".

3. Firefox will display a "warning" about changing the advanced settings. Please read, and if ok, click "I accept the risk!"

4. At the top, in the "Search", type, again, without the quotes, "dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash". When you type, the search will start narrowing down the results.

5. Once "dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash" is found, double-click on it.

6. Change the integer value from 3 to 0, and click the "Ok" button.

7. Close and reopen Firefox, for the change to take.

8. Go to Neopets and play "Kass Basher".

9. Do a happy dance, high-five yourself, or whatever, and revel in delight that your "Kass Basher" settings are once more saved - Furthest Hit, Hard (Bat).

I must point out, though, that if you clear your browser's cache, history and cookies, "Kass Basher" settings will be lost. Or, if you don't play Kass Basher regularly. That is normal for any web browser and Kass Basher.

So, now, I know you are thinking, "What does this setting do?" Honestly, I'm not completely sure. What I do know, however, is this:

1. Flash is often updated, due to to security flaws/holes.

2. In computer terms, "sandbox" refers to containing, or keeping a program running in its own space, without it being able to affect other programs, or the operating system. Think of it as a parent putting an infant or toddler into a playpen. The child can sleep or play in it, but he/she cannot leave the playpen. And, typically, nothing else can get into the playpen. The child is "contained" in a "safe" place.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(computer_security)

Putting the two together, the setting seems to "sandbox" the Flash plugin to a default level of "3", in Firefox, so Flash content (games/videos) will run in its own space, and not affect other programs on your computer, or the operating system. My guess is, the default level was change to "3" with Firefox version 65. "3" seems to be a more restrictive level/setting. Again, my guess is, "3" keeps Kass Basher (a Flash game), from saving data (your current "bat" level - bread loaf, stick, or bat, and your "hits" and furthest hit) to your computer's hard drive. In this case, we don't want that. However, if you think in nefarious terms, a "hacker" might want to save malicious data, from a "seemingly harmless Flash video/game" to your computer's hard drive, to cause further damage, later. We wouldn't want that either, and neither does Firefox, which is a possible "why" Firefox changed the setting to a "3". (More restrictive = Help prevent that from happening). And that is why the "disclaimer".

If you have any questions, please post.

@Scoobert_Doo Thanks! I'm testing this, and so far (having done one hit, restarting the game, and reloading the page) changing "dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash" from 3 to 2 allows for Kass Basher saving as well. If it starts giving me problems hopefully I'll remember to try changing this config setting again.

Edit: Also preserves level unlocks. Looking good! :D

Edited by Lielac
Adding information.

My brain can't deal with trying this. *pats head gently* there there, don't worry, I'm not gonna make you try and read that.

I guess I'll stick with the stick until I manage to score 450 again then. >_<

I still don't understand why my reset wasn't right back to the bread, not that I'm complaining!

Thank you so much @Scoobert_Doo ! That worked like a charm. It's remembering it again. :D

I was googling myself a bit (in the little bit of time I had) but hadn't found a solution yet.

@jellysundae lets see if we can say it with less text:

1. open firefox

2. in adress bar type/copy paste: about:config

2.5 (edit): Enter

3. accept the risk

4. in search bar copy paste:  dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash

5. double click the result that came up (should be only 1)

6. in the popup change the 3 into 0

7. enter (or click OK) and restart firefox.

8. PLAY!

Edited by Duma

2 hours ago, Duma said:

Thank you so much @Scoobert_Doo ! That worked like a charm. It's remembering it again. :D

I was googling myself a bit (in the little bit of time I had) but hadn't found a solution yet.

@jellysundae lets see if we can say it with less text:

1. open firefox

2. in adress bar type/copy paste: about:config 

2.5 (edit): Enter

3. accept the risk

4. in search bar copy paste:  dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash

5. double click the result that came up (should be only 1)

6. in the popup change the 3 into 0

7. enter (or click OK) and restart firefox.

8. PLAY!

Aw, how sweet of you! ? Ok brain, come on, step up!

*snorts*

Here be dragons! It says! ?

Soooo, it already says 0 in that pop-up. :upsidedown:

Maybe you didn't unlock the last level last time you got reset and that's why you were on the stick instead of on the loaf of bread?  I remember it got reset for everyone in a DD. At least you're good and it should remember your level.

And also: BE PROUD of yourself that you managed to check it. It's not called ADVANCED settings for nothing, it's quite confusing in there even for people without brains that go "nope, not today"

43 minutes ago, Duma said:

Maybe you didn't unlock the last level last time you got reset and that's why you were on the stick instead of on the loaf of bread?  I remember it got reset for everyone in a DD. At least you're good and it should remember your level.

And also: BE PROUD of yourself that you managed to check it. It's not called ADVANCED settings for nothing, it's quite confusing in there even for people without brains that go "nope, not today"

I was using the bat last time I played it, BUT, that was on my new laptop, and I'm back on my antique one now as the new one is :skull: so maybe I was still on the stick from the last cache clearance on this one. Seems sensible?

Thank you for helping with the brain coaxing, you and Scoobs both. :D

12 hours ago, jellysundae said:

My brain can't deal with trying this. *pats head gently* there there, don't worry, I'm not gonna make you try and read that.

I guess I'll stick with the stick until I manage to score 450 again then. >_<

I still don't understand why my reset wasn't right back to the bread, not that I'm complaining!

My apologies, @jellysundae. Since you and Duma replied, I was just hoping to get confirmation from other Firefox users.

11 minutes ago, Lielac said:

19 hours later: my Kass Basher high score is still preserved. So if you want to be more cautious about messing around in advanced settings, replacing step 6 in Duma's quick guide with "in the popup change the 3 into 2" works as far as I can tell.

Thanks for posting that. Where I found the work-around, it was mentioned changing the 3 to a 2, didn't work, for some. I was trying 0 first, and then was going to try 2.