Is YIPP gonna make me rich?

jellysundae

YIPP's following in TAG's footsteps and reaching for the sky right now, and I'm having an interesting reaction to this.

disclosure_closed.gif2.gif YIPP
(profile)
125 136 +11 32,000 375,000 4,352,000 +1,060.53%

My sell-point has gradually increased so that I don't start fretting about selling unless something's in the upper 60s at the very least, but once it IS there I get anxious and want to sell, even though I tell myself my sell-point is 85 now, lol. I can generally hold out for the mid-70s pretty easily though.

Of course what generally happens is things tank spectacularly while I'm not around (I'm lookin' at you ACFI) and I never get to sell at all. ?

But here I am with YIPP at the moment... I sold 16k at 99, and that was most definitely an anxiety sell, but now? I'm completely calm and happy to sit and watch it. Why is that?!  Do I think it's climbed high enough that the crash would have to be a drop of 50 over-night to have much impact and that's not likely to happen? Am I kidding myself that it's only going to keep going up? Do I need certifying? ?‍♀️

I have no idea!

But in the meantime, I'll just sit here and quietly watch it...

Seriously though, should I be freaking out right now? Or is it good that I'm cool and collected about all that lovely lolly (hopefully) coming my way. I just don't understand why I'm so chill about this. ?

Also, I guess it's kind of cute that I'm obviously affected by the thought of a 4m+ gain to my bank balance, when that's pocket change to a lot of Neopians. ?

Haha, my neopoints account is barely getting that 4 mill per year in interest, so I understand where you are coming from getting excited about it!

I never had luck with stocks.  It seemed mine would very very rarely give me double what I paid for them.  Is it really common for them to go so high, even the ones on the bargain page?

7 minutes ago, GillyTook said:

Haha, my neopoints account is barely getting that 4 mill per year in interest, so I understand where you are coming from getting excited about it!

I never had luck with stocks.  It seemed mine would very very rarely give me double what I paid for them.  Is it really common for them to go so high, even the ones on the bargain page?

Going by my portfolio it's not at all common, stocks seem to like the 30-50 or so bracket the most, and snuggle together there for comfort, lol.

Maybe it's just as scary for them as it is for us when they start to climb? ?

we all buy them at the bargain page, at 15 or 10 NP per stock. After that it's just a matter of patiently waiting until they go up. For some of them it takes 6+ months to even get to 60.

I already sold all but 1k of my YIPP (137 now) and TAG image.png

I really should start making a list with at least the max number it's been on and the time it took to get there.

You'd think someone would have a long term record of price changes, but I havn't found one.  Originally I was content to buy at 15, sell at 30, double my money.   Now I wait for 60 and call it good enough.    One sale won't make or break me, it's the pattern over time.

16 minutes ago, Rayd1978 said:

You'd think someone would have a long term record of price changes, but I havn't found one.  Originally I was content to buy at 15, sell at 30, double my money.   Now I wait for 60 and call it good enough.    One sale won't make or break me, it's the pattern over time.

http://www.[Removed].us/forum/index.php?app=neostocks&module=report 

This site does some stuff with tracking stocks.  Might be worth checking out? 

12 minutes ago, Rayd1978 said:

You'd think someone would have a long term record of price changes, but I havn't found one.

Is that what the Neodaq was? I know that doesn't exist any more.

@DumaYeah I've only got 1k of TAG now, pretty sure that alone keeps my portfolio total in the green some days, lol. Though right now my bottom line's lovely and healthy!

+71.42%  ?

1 hour ago, emily_speck_15 said:

http://www.[Removed].us/forum/index.php?app=neostocks&module=report 

This site does some stuff with tracking stocks.  Might be worth checking out? 

I like the idea but it seems it's not up to date. They don't really say what day the last update was but at least it's not today seeing that their opening prizes aren't the same as on Neopets. It will still give a rough idea though! The Neodaq was a bit different but like @jellysundae said, unfortunately it doesn't exist any more. ?

I usually wait until the stock reaches 75 before I sell any. Even then, I only sell 1k a day as long as it keeps going up. That way I don't totally miss a gain, nor do I sell everything early and miss out on getting an even bigger reward. I have been sitting on my last 1k YIPP. I am waiting until it reaches 150 before getting rid of the last 1k. I am not going to press my luck any farther. If it does tank and I miss the 150 mark, well, I still made a nice profit on the way.

i just started buying stocks again .. the last time i did that was for the Avatar 

ive had stale stocks for YEARS and sold them for a loss just to get rid of them

Right now i'm not doing so well 

Totals: 21,000 318,000 273,000 -14.15%

I just started playing stocks about 6 months ago when I went for the avatar and I've never seen one on my portfolio go over 100 before. I made a tidy 400k profit when I chickened out and sold most of my YIPP shares when it hit 80-something, I only had a couple thousand in YIPP anyway so it doesn't matter much. I agree though, it's funny how they get past a certain point and you stop worrying about it! It's just like, go on, do your thing, I want to see where you're going with this lol. Makes me wonder if the Neo market actually functions with any semblance of actual market variables or if it's a computer program running the whole thing and occasionally it's scripted to let one really get up there to keep people interested...

1 hour ago, Angeló said:

i just started buying stocks again .. the last time i did that was for the Avatar 

ive had stale stocks for YEARS and sold them for a loss just to get rid of them

Right now i'm not doing so well 

Totals: 21,000 318,000 273,000 -14.15%

I think you are doing just fine!  It takes some time to build up, but if you only sell at 60, you quadruple your money in.  

image.png

I feel like I am always negative, but I always keep putting money in and honestly it is a slow but steady way to make good money!

15 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

I usually wait until the stock reaches 75 before I sell any. Even then, I only sell 1k a day as long as it keeps going up. That way I don't totally miss a gain, nor do I sell everything early and miss out on getting an even bigger reward. I have been sitting on my last 1k YIPP. I am waiting until it reaches 150 before getting rid of the last 1k. I am not going to press my luck any farther. If it does tank and I miss the 150 mark, well, I still made a nice profit on the way.

I have always sold around 45. Including my YIPP ? I think I am going to try to turn over a new leaf and follow babayaga67's guidelines and see how that goes. Hopefully I will be patient enough!

Well I'm still remaining strong at the moment, no urge to sell at all, and it's climbed nicely over night.

(profile)
140 143 +3 32,000 375,000 4,576,000 +1,120.27%
4 hours ago, charelan said:

I have always sold around 45. Including my YIPP ? I think I am going to try to turn over a new leaf and follow babayaga67's guidelines and see how that goes. Hopefully I will be patient enough!

Give it a go! The patience always pays off, and it's so much easier the next time after that. ?

Hmm, so reading what you guys are saying; patience is actually a big part of it, isn't it. It's not just taking the risk of not selling at a certain point, it's being content to let fallow stocks sit... and sit... and sit... until they finally start doing something.

@Angeló the first stocks I ever bought was 100 of HELT. They promptly dropped down into single figures and didn't even get back up into the buyable range for over a year. ? and I think it took them another year or more before they climbed enough to get to 60. Maybe stocks just isn't for you if you get frustrated by how slow it is?

17 hours ago, emily_speck_15 said:

image.png

I feel like I am always negative, but I always keep putting money in and honestly it is a slow but steady way to make good money!

My bottom line was pretty much ALWAYS in the red until fairly recently, I think TAGs climb tipped into into the green because I held back 1k of that. But I'd guess being in the red most of the time's normal for most of us, yeah?

18 hours ago, Kute said:

I don't know how you have the patience to sit on it, Jelly. 

To be honest, mainly because I always forget about it once I've checked my portfolio after buying the day's stocks. ?

EDIT

@babayaga67

(profile)
140 149 +9 32,000 375,000 4,768,000 +1,171.47%

:snitch:

(profile)
140 150 +10 32,000 375,000 4,800,000 +1,180.00%

@jellysundae yep. I just hopped on to check out the stocks for the day and sold my last 1k for 154. Granted, I only had 6k stocks to begin with, so I don't think that that is as grand of a profit as some people who have a couple of dozen of any given stock. I am still happy with my income.

Thank you YIPP! It was nice working with you.

12 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Maybe stocks just isn't for you if you get frustrated by how slow it is?

nah im good .. im not expecting to make quick profit 

there are people called "night traders" who buy shares in the most expensive stocks and sell them overnight for a small profit