Armypedia

babayaga67

If you haven't heard of BTS, then you should probably skip this topic because, well, when I started thinking about it I wanted to throw up.

BTS is launching Armypedia in a couple of days and ARMY are already hunting for the QR codes. I don't know how many physical ones are located in each city, but I am going to assume at least a dozen, more than likely two or three dozen If you want to start chasing buses and looking in malls and stuff. I don't know if any of the online QR codes have popped up yet, but I assume that most are going to wait until the day of to be released.

2,080. There are 2,080 QR codes that are being released. One for each day since their debut. Lets say that only 10% of those are physical codes found in the real world. That is advertisement space bought for over 200 ads in 7 of the worlds most expensive cities for advertising - London, Hong Kong, Paris, Tokyo, LA, Seoul and New York City. That makes 90% of the ads are "hidden" on the internet. They still had to pay for all of that ad space. How many hundreds of millions of dollars do you think that is?

When ARMY unlock days, post on days and react to other's posts they earn points that can be redeemed on the Big Hit (The company that owns BTS) online store.

So, what has happened is that Big Hit has spent several hundred million dollars on advertising a fan made diary that hasn't even been made yet, from which fans can earn money to get stuff for free from the company. ARMY will only have a limited time to fill in the Armypedia before it "closes," but once it closes it is supposed to stay open for free online viewing. Big Hit makes no money off of this glorified diary. None.

I could understand if it was some promo for a new album where you could unlock special pictures or sound bites that would tempt ARMY to spend real money to buy stuff, but this is so CRAZY!!!!

They spent millions of dollars for ads in London, Paris, Tokyo, New York, Seoul and Hong Kong. One billboard in Times Square can cost 3 million for one month. While the average is lower than that, it's still an average is still well above 20,000 per month. That's ONE QR code. Big Hit bought ad space for 2,080. Granted, I am well aware that not every ad costs that much. They don't have to with there being over 2,000 of them.

I apologize for any repetitiveness, I am just extremely flustered right now and needed to vent about this before I really did throw up from the insanity of spending so much on a fake diary! Okay, I think that I might have calmed down a little. I am going to go clean up my house now.

This is news to me but oh god thats so?? The idea of this sounds so messy and like a big waste of money I hope everyone makes the most of it though and enjoys it since yeah if they spent so much on it then I hope it serves its purpose.

It is definitely good advertising for them. They just don't have anything currently going on. No tours, they haven't released the drop date of their new album, no TV shows or movies that they are reported to be in and can thus promote. Just BTS. Don't get me wrong @aaml, I am sure that ARMY is going to LOVE the BTS themed scavenger hunt that spans the entire globe both physically and electronically. I do like BTS' music, but I do not consider myself ARMY just because I don't know enough about their history. I am really just biased towards boy bands in general so they weren't that hard of a sell for me. I like to know more about the actual people themselves before I will say that I like them personally. After hearing about this Armypedia thing though, I don't know if I want to look into them as human beings... I'm a little scared of what I might find. K-Pop fan groups seem very hard care.

I can say personally for me bts are all very wonderful and worth getting to know as people via shows and vlive and bangtan bombs even tho a lot of those are older now, but this seems more like a bighit made this decision and spent all that money to promote them in a way they didn't need to be promoted. So don't let this put you off of them! Bts really brought me so much join these past years and I don't regret it for one moment!