does changing the language still work for books?

mokusei4

in the lyras event prize shop there is a book called "Desert Explorer Kit"...my aisha decided it was too boring to read so i changed the language to see if that would change the title of the item and trick her into reading it. well, in most languages, it was becoming "Decrepit Desert Map," except there was also no option in the dropdown to have a pet read it at all! i thought it strange because all my other items changed languages, and that one stayed in english til...simplified chinese, traditional chinese, japanese, and korean...where it disappeared from the inventory entirely. switching it to english brings it back.

interestingly, when i tried the other languages again to see "Decrepit Desert Map" it now also disappears from the inventory. oh this was just from the languages getting stuck.

did neopets catch on to the language trick and prevent it by changing an item? or is this just more weirdness courtesy of lyra's slow-motion trainwreck? anybody else confirm this happening?

They stopped providing translations for items a handful of years ago so any book/consumable item released post that date will not work if you change the language. It will still work for older books but not for books released in the past 2-ish years.

It sucks but I hope it's something that will be a non-issue when they finish remaking the website. 

It's a pain, isn't it?! I've started storing the newer books that my pet refuses read on my side account to keep them seperate. I'll undoubtedly completely forget they're over there. ?

ah so thats what the problem is...i did store the item in my sdb. its very strange that it changed names and became a non-book, like do people using other languages not get to use the item at all? thats so weird. hopefully they do finish remaking the website.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:25 PM, hrtbrk said:

They stopped providing translations for items a handful of years ago so any book/consumable item released post that date will not work if you change the language. It will still work for older books but not for books released in the past 2-ish years.

It sucks but I hope it's something that will be a non-issue when they finish remaking the website. 

Silly question- how do you know how old they are?