Junk Item Prices

Dilley88

@Nielo Items that you get from dailies such as kelps from Underwater Fishing. I remember they used to be 1np in shops. Now they are sold up to 15np. 

When is this Charity Corner happening? Maybe I should hold on to all the junk items I've been collecting in my SDB! I was going to discard them to get the Rubbish avatar lol... 

I'd say it's most definitely Charity Corner prep, it's BUSY at the Money Tree these days! Stuff I'd normally be able to pick up easily is being whipped away before I can get it, and a LOT of the time the tree is empty.

Interestingly enough, a few people have been dropping MASSES of items onto the tree, r90+ stuff by the bucket-load. They must have a monumental amount of stuff if they're happy to give it away just before CC starts. O_O 

@Dilley88

No-one knows when CC's actually gonna be, but an educated guess says "soon" seems pretty likely. Once the Festival of Neggs is out of the way we shall see!

39 minutes ago, Dilley88 said:

@Nielo Items that you get from dailies such as kelps from Underwater Fishing. I remember they used to be 1np in shops. Now they are sold up to 15np. 

When is this Charity Corner happening? Maybe I should hold on to all the junk items I've been collecting in my SDB! I was going to discard them to get the Rubbish avatar lol... 

Yeah, even those kinds of items might be worth something during the CC. So, you might want to wait with discarding them until after the Charity Corner has ended. We'll have to wait to see which types of items will be accepted this year though. Last CC, all items were accepted as donations, but other editions had specific themes, and only accepted specific types of items (like 'school', or 'books').

39 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Interestingly enough, a few people have been dropping MASSES of items onto the tree, r90+ stuff by the bucket-load. They must have a monumental amount of stuff if they're happy to give it away just before CC starts. O_O

Or perhaps they just aren't really aware of the existence of the CC? If they're only casual Neopets players, who simply got those items by hoarding everything, they might just not know about things like CC. (If not for sites like TDN and JN, I would definitely miss out on these kinds of events. And even though I'm aware of them now, I don't do anything to prepare for them; I'm a hoarder by nature (I love that the SDB can't be full!), so I always have some items to donate, but I never go out of my way to acquire more stuff.)

47 minutes ago, Nielo said:

Or perhaps they just aren't really aware of the existence of the CC? If they're only casual Neopets players, who simply got those items by hoarding everything, they might just not know about things like CC. (If not for sites like TDN and JN, I would definitely miss out on these kinds of events. And even though I'm aware of them now, I don't do anything to prepare for them; I'm a hoarder by nature (I love that the SDB can't be full!), so I always have some items to donate, but I never go out of my way to acquire more stuff.)

Who knows? It always makes me wonder though. Especially when it's someone clearly off-loading a full SDB of rare and/or valuable items. There was someone a week or so ago that I have to assume was quitting because the stuff they were giving away... ? REALLY valuable stuff that they had multiples of; items got 10 or so years ago from Neocash cards.

Like this

Mummified Red Scorchio
Mummified Red Scorchio
175,000 NP

You see that's dropped in value since this SDB clear out , as have a lot of things.

Price History

175,000 NP (-45,000 NP) on April 19, 2019 by Item DB Crew

There's was 10 or more of these, same with TONS of other stuff. I worried someone had been hacked, but on reflection it didn't seem likely because who'd hack someone, find a treasure trove of plunder, and then proceed to give it all away? So I guess they were quitting, though they may have been renouncing their Neo-wealth or something! I didn't check out their account... that's surprisingly non-nosy of me. ?

28 minutes ago, Nielo said:

@jellysundae Yeah, that definitely seems like someone was getting rid of all their stuff before closing their account. (It does make you wonder why they're giving everything away, instead of just keeping their account & their stuff in case they ever decide to come back.)

They may well end up thinking the exact same thing at some point. ?

On the other hand... they may have found it wonderfully liberating and have left floating on a cloud of rosy glow thinking of all the people they just helped out. Though that doesn't mean they might not have deep regrets at a later date. But hopefully not. ?

I've even heard of people donating everything so that the temptation of coming back would be less. I can't understand but maybe they felt they were spending too much time online and they couldn't moderate it without drastic measures?

35 minutes ago, Dilley88 said:

@jellysundae Maybe they are not aware of the item's value? Or they just don't care. lol..

I am a hoarder too. It's difficult for me to sell or get rid of items. Even though I know that I am NEVER going to use them ?

Could be? Hmm... though if they were invested in Neo enough 10 years ago to be spending a lot of money on Neocash cards, you'd think they'd know. Maybe they're someone who's lost interest over the years so they're happy to offload everything. So yeah, I'm leaning towards the they just don't care side of things, lol.

32 minutes ago, Duma said:

I've even heard of people donating everything so that the temptation of coming back would be less. I can't understand but maybe they felt they were spending too much time online and they couldn't moderate it without drastic measures?

This is the same kind of mindset as the women who buy wedding dresses that are too small to force themselves to slim down?

A kind of... THERE, NOW YOU HAVE TO DO [insert thing here] thing. Because everyone knows how well that works... ?

6 hours ago, LekkerLekker89 said:

The price of junk items could be rising due to the rubbish avatar. Enough people discard enough of the same things eliminating them from the neopian economy, price is sure to increase. 

I don't know, that avatar has been around for ages, hasn't it? I know I personally never even tried for it, just got it after occasionally discarding stuff over the years. I don't think it could cause an increase in price so suddenly. Plus, I think most of those junk items keep coming back into the Neopian economy anyway, as they're prizes for dailies. But even if they didn't, the only way prizes would go up, is if demand was higher, which has to be because of some event like CC (or The Coincidence), as they're typically useless items that people aren't really looking to buy.

I'm intrigued really, by the mindset behind buying junk items for CC. I HAVE a lot of 1 donation point items - loads of obsidian for example - but I'll not donate that until ALL the rare and uncommon stuff has gone first, and then, if I have't lost the will to live by that point, then this lot can come out. ?

image.png.f6cbd7507d884246abebb94f7709ff2c.png

I wouldn't even collect free junk for it, seems like a waste of my time when I could be collecting rares? I mean going by last year's numbers:

• r1-r79: 1 point
  • r80-89: 2 points
  • r90-97: 6 points
  • r98-r100: 8 points
  • r101: 1 point
  • r102-r179: 4 points
  • r200: 15 points

It'd require on average 6 times the quantity donated to achieve the same result? I quail at the very thought... ? 

Interesting though, isn't it, how people on the boards are SO vociferous about how "everyone" hates the new CC format, but various site activities clearly show people are preparing for it as vigourously as ever!

@jellysundae Has it been confirmed that this year's CC will have the same kind of format as last year's? (I don't really follow Neopets news/boards that much, to be honest. XD) I tend to assume that the CC is different every year, and I didn't even really remember last year's point system. (Which also explains why I keep forgetting the CC prize shop exists, and why I still have points left. ?) But I think people will always want the best rewards possible, so they'll prepare for it just the same, even if they don't like it as much. (The ones that do prepare for it, at least. Although I guess my preparations are the same as well, in the sense that they're nonexistent. ?)

39 minutes ago, Nielo said:

Has it been confirmed that this year's CC will have the same kind of format as last year's?

Yup, HTT confirmed it, it was posted about it on JN earlier this year.

She even made a board for people to make perks suggestions - for next year's event, that got locked quickly apparently. xD

I didn't check it out myself but reading between the lines of the comments on JN most of them were foolish/unrealistic. ? Much clamouring for a perk that switched your pet to its unconverted format and so forth.

46 minutes ago, Nielo said:

Although I guess my preparations are the same as well, in the sense that they're nonexistent. ?

Same here xD HOARD ALL THE THINGS is the extent of it with me, so basically, business as usual.  ?

40 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Yup, HTT confirmed it, it was posted about it on JN earlier this year.

She even made a board for people to make perks suggestions - for next year's event, that got locked quickly apparently. xD

I didn't check it out myself but reading between the lines of the comments on JN most of them were foolish/unrealistic. ? Much clamouring for a perk that switched your pet to its unconverted format and so forth.

Same here xD HOARD ALL THE THINGS is the extent of it with me, so basically, business as usual.  ?

Ah, good to know. I haven't checked the boards in ages. Lol, yeah, asking people for suggestions is probably not the best idea; that either gets you impossible requests, or Boaty McBoatface. ?

Yup, business as usual. :D

Yeah, it's probably Charity Corner. I for one am excited to start clicking on dropdown menus on hundreds of items... that might be misplaced excitement. =P

9 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

Yeah, it's probably Charity Corner. I for one am excited to start clicking on dropdown menus on hundreds of items... that might be misplaced excitement. =P

Much like the anticipation before the Altador Cup? ?

People are REALLY gearing up for CC now that the Festival of Neggs is nearing its end, I'm really struggling to manage to grab ANY rares from the Money Tree, even the Bagguss, and my personal favourite of Moldy Left-overs, are being whipped away from under my nose. ?

i got lucky and just swiped a paintbrush from the money tree, don't think I'll be donating that to CC!

I can easily see how some people are donating without realising about CC though, I only found out about it from your board a while back, if you just log in for games/dailies etc its easy to miss events

I'm much more on it now, all gold checks on neggsfest ?