Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
morison45120

What are you reading?

Right now I'm picking my way through 'Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves', which is a collection of short stories.   Plan to start in on 'The Last Sun' by K.D. Edwards.   I had the pleasure of meeting him at a Sci-Fi convention not long ago, and his book sounded interesting.

I'm reading Ride a Pale Horse by Helen MacInnes; an espionage novel set during the Cold war.

I'm rather enjoying it so I'm getting some more books of hers. Seems this is the last one she wrote; published in 1984, her first was in 1939. I like books written in that era so I'm hopeful for another good author to add to my list, she wrote 30 books so yay, always happy when you find an author you like and they have an extensive back catalogue. :D

I'm trudging through The Stand by Stephen King.  I enjoy it, even though it's insanely wordy and has a good vs. evil theme. I'm mildly annoyed by it, only because any post-apocalyptic or pandemic/epidemic book I've read has that theme. I just want a post-apocalyptic without good vs evil, but it's definitely hard to find at least from my results.  

Currently reading 4 books:

The Wisdom of the Enneagram

The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a **** 

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life

A Geisha's Journey: My Life As A Kyoto Apprentice

3 hours ago, Munchies said:

I'm mildly annoyed by it, only because any post-apocalyptic or pandemic/epidemic book I've read has that theme. I just want a post-apocalyptic without good vs evil, but it's definitely hard to find at least from my results.  

Ooh, you know I'd never considered that but you're right. The Stand would also have worked without any of the super-natural elements, I think, there'd have been more than enough going on between the other characters. I wonder how much different The Stand would have been if he'd written it, let's say... 20 years later...

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Ooh, you know I'd never considered that but you're right. The Stand would also have worked without any of the super-natural elements, I think, there'd have been more than enough going on between the other characters. I wonder how much different The Stand would have been if he'd written it, let's say... 20 years later...

I'm hoping it would be significantly shorter. I also feel like there was too much character interaction; I wish there was more left to the reader's imagination. 

13 hours ago, Munchies said:

I'm hoping it would be significantly shorter. I also feel like there was too much character interaction; I wish there was more left to the reader's imagination. 

Haha, yeah, he's learnt to streamline things since, hasn't he. I find I don't like The Stand as much as I used to, though I can't really define why. But maybe it's for the same reason that I used to think The Vampire Lestat was ahmazing, and I'd roll my eyes at huge swathes of it now (if I still had it) - I've grown up, lol. >_<

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

I find I don't like The Stand as much as I used to, though I can't really define why. But maybe it's for the same reason that I used to think The Vampire Lestat was ahmazing, and I'd roll my eyes at huge swathes of it now (if I still had it) - I've grown up, lol. >_<

I feel that it's too "dated"; more post-apocalyptic novels written within the past 15 years or so don't have a specific time frame/period they occur in. If that makes any sense. 

I tried to read The Vampire Lestat and I couldn't even push through the first chapter, so I just gave up on it. If you want to combine vampires and plagues/epidemics I suggest giving The Strain Trilogy a try, It's probably one of my favorite trilogies.

The Journey so Far: Philosophy through the Ages

Ethics: Approaching Moral Decisions. Contours of Christian Philosophy.

The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog

💀School books

3 hours ago, Munchies said:

If you want to combine vampires and plagues/epidemics I suggest giving The Strain Trilogy a try, It's probably one of my favorite trilogies.

I think I've outgrown vampire stuff entirely to be honest; I only ever read Anne Rice, and there was always a little bit of me givin' 'em side-eye, even while I enjoyed the book. 😅

1 hour ago, Kute said:

💀School books

violin.gif

That's genuine sympathy, not sarcasm, in case you think I'm just bein' a jerk. 😅

What genres do you guys tend to read then?

I gravitate towards crime/mystery/thrillers now. I like Sue Grafton/Kinsey Millhone a lot, and saw Kinsey compared to V.I.Warshawski, so I checked her out and am enjoying what I've read so far.

I think I've outgrown vampire stuff entirely to be honest; I only ever read Anne Rice, and there was always a little bit of me givin' 'em side-eye, even while I enjoyed the book. 😅

Fair enough! I cringe remembering I read some vampire books by Ellen Schreiber, but I was angsty wannabe goth then. Then there's Twilight (but let's not go there 😅)

What genres do you guys tend to read then?

I gravitate towards crime/mystery/thrillers now. I like Sue Grafton/Kinsey Millhone a lot, and saw Kinsey compared to V.I.Warshawski, so I checked her out and am enjoying what I've read so far.

I tend to gravitate to fantasy, science fiction, and horror. I also like reading detective noir, but I feel I'm still too picky in this genre. 

On 5/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, jellysundae said:

I'm reading Ride a Pale Horse by Helen MacInnes; an espionage novel set during the Cold war.

I'm rather enjoying it so I'm getting some more books of hers. Seems this is the last one she wrote; published in 1984, her first was in 1939. I like books written in that era so I'm hopeful for another good author to add to my list, she wrote 30 books so yay, always happy when you find an author you like and they have an extensive back catalogue. :D

Have you read Pearl S. Buck books? She has a bunch. The best and well known is called The Good Earth. She wrote these in the 1930s-60s(?) as well. 

6 hours ago, Kute said:

Have you read Pearl S. Buck books? She has a bunch. The best and well known is called The Good Earth. She wrote these in the 1930s-60s(?) as well. 

I have a book of hers, yep! It's Pavilion of Women. I'm trying to remember how I came by it... I think maybe my Grandad gave it to me when I was still at school, I have had it years. It's in my favourite format for a book; an old hardback with a slightly faded cloth-bound cover (mmmm, old book smell) I've never thought to look into her other books though, I should check her out!