Hello everyone!

epona1

Greetings! It's funny cause I just met up with my cousins from the Netherlands yesterday. They flew across the Atlantic to see lil ol me ? 

Your account is around the age of my oldest (shame it's lost now). Remember when when faerie quests were easy to come by and we had sidebar themes?

Hello ^_^ It's fun coming back to Neo!  I lost access to my original account and lost interest for a long time after that, but I'm so glad I got back into it, and it's great that you still have your old account. :D

11 hours ago, Greywindd said:

Greetings! It's funny cause I just met up with my cousins from the Netherlands yesterday. They flew across the Atlantic to see lil ol me ? 

Your account is around the age of my oldest (shame it's lost now). Remember when when faerie quests were easy to come by and we had sidebar themes?

Nice! Did you get stroopwafels?

The questing aspect of the game seems to be something that has been pushed aside a little? I loved questing, and the Altador Plot/Quest was the greatest thing to ever have happened to the game.

I love that the website has stayed the same. But at the same time I find it a little odd...

11 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Hello ^_^ It's fun coming back to Neo!  I lost access to my original account and lost interest for a long time after that, but I'm so glad I got back into it, and it's great that you still have your old account. :D

Thank you, I probably would not have gotten back into it if I couldn't have this account. I love my pixel Kau ?

You mentioned the magic word!

STROOPWAFEL!!! ?

A supermarket here in the UK is selling an awkward home-grown version of these delights...

image.png.ecb9b93b4b9ab326bc9c6e1ae4119d48.png

I think they maybe shouldn't bother. ?

Fresh baked on the market is still better though XD

It's funny how famous they are really, everybody loves them and yet they're typically Dutch. You would think other countries would have come up with a similar cookie.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, epona1 said:

They are displayed the correct way though. Cooking on hot cup.

Yep, giving 'em +1 for that at least! The Dutch houses on the mug makes them more authentic too, right? It amuses me when they use ploys like that on product packaging/advertising. xD The packaging says Traditional Dutch recipe... I guess if I even get myself to this shop I should see if they have them and I'll judge them for myself!

There's those mini ones sold too though... why?! ?‍♀️ Defeats the object entirely, surely? Unless... unless..... they fit on a teeny tiny espresso cup?

On 5/13/2019 at 12:30 PM, Duma said:

It's funny how famous they are really, everybody loves them and yet they're typically Dutch. You would think other countries would have come up with a similar cookie.

It's really nice that they haven't lost their national identity though, isn't it. :D But yeah, I'm very surprised that other waffle-eating nations haven't purloined them - I'm looking at you, America - especially as the US has so many Dutch immigrants.

21 hours ago, epona1 said:

I know! It's been a while. I logged on when I was at University 5-7 years ago because my roommate at the time was playing Neopets.

That's a while ago, but while some things have changed (some things were added, like Trudy's Surprise, other things are gone/broken, like Key Quest), a lot has stayed the same. (As you've noticed. :smile: )

7 hours ago, jellysundae said:

You mentioned the magic word!

STROOPWAFEL!!! ?

A supermarket here in the UK is selling an awkward home-grown version of these delights...

image.png.ecb9b93b4b9ab326bc9c6e1ae4119d48.png

I think they maybe shouldn't bother. ?

Lol, I love how they translated waffles (even though wafels isn't that different), but left stroop the same. I guess it's for "authenticity", but for people who've never heard of stroopwafels, this isn't going to make any sense. XD

4 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Yep, giving 'em +1 for that at least! The Dutch houses on the mug makes them more authentic too, right? It amuses me when they use ploys like that on product packaging/advertising. xD The packaging says Traditional Dutch recipe... I guess if I even get myself to this shop I should see if they have them and I'll judge them for myself!

There's those mini ones sold too though... why?! ?‍♀️ Defeats the object entirely, surely? Unless... unless..... they fit on a teeny tiny espresso cup?

It's really nice that they haven't lost their national identity though, isn't it. :D But yeah, I'm very surprised that other waffle-eating nations haven't purloined them - I'm looking at you, America, especially as the US has so many Dutch immigrants.

You know, I ate tons of stroopwafels growing up (obviously), but I only saw people put them on top of their coffee/tea mugs recently. We never did that at home (and I still don't, to be honest - it might be nice that the syrup part gets soft, but the waffle gets soft as well, and I prefer it crispy). So I have no issue with the tiny ones. :D

Maybe that's because it's such a different type of waffle? It's all thin and crispy, nothing like the (Belgian) waffles usually served in the US. (Those kinds of waffles are often served with syrup as well, but both the waffles and the syrup are completely different.)

Awww yiss STROOPWAFELS! Every time I go abroad, I go ham on all the snacks. I haven't ventured to UK yet but a kind stranger once mailed me a box of crisps and jammie dodgers.

It's a shame that America hasn't found an equivalent. Something, anything to pair with coffee besides donuts would be nice. At least we have tea biscuits but not a lot of people here enjoy a nice cup of tea.

6 hours ago, Nielo said:

That's a while ago, but while some things have changed (some things were added, like Trudy's Surprise, other things are gone/broken, like Key Quest), a lot has stayed the same. (As you've noticed. :smile: )

I'm still devastated over Habitarium.

Welcome back to Neopets, and welcome to TDN Forums! I hope you have a pleasant time.

36 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

Welcome back to Neopets, and welcome to TDN Forums! I hope you have a pleasant time.

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, Greywindd said:

I'm still devastated over Habitarium.

I missed this but I am very sad now... It looked like so much fun!!

16 hours ago, Nielo said:

You know, I ate tons of stroopwafels growing up (obviously), but I only saw people put them on top of their coffee/tea mugs recently. We never did that at home (and I still don't, to be honest - it might be nice that the syrup part gets soft, but the waffle gets soft as well, and I prefer it crispy).

You flip it so your tea warms it on both sides but it does not loose its crispiness ?

20 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Hahaha! I never even thought of that! I thought the tiny ones were for on the go. I often find them too dry tough so I stopped eating them.

10 hours ago, epona1 said:

You flip it so your tea warms it on both sides but it does not loose its crispiness ?

But.. the steam from the tea makes it moist, which kills the crispiness. :P 

(I feel like not being able to warm a stroopwafel over a cup of tea properly means I'm failing as a Dutch person. XD)

46 minutes ago, Nielo said:

But.. the steam from the tea makes it moist, which kills the crispiness. :P 

(I feel like not being able to warm a stroopwafel over a cup of tea properly means I'm failing as a Dutch person. XD)

Is this on the same kind of level as a Brit who doesn't like tea? Do you fear your citizenship being revoked? :guiltysmiley:

10 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Is this on the same kind of level as a Brit who doesn't like tea? Do you fear your citizenship being revoked? :guiltysmiley:

Maybe not quite as severe as a Brit who doesn't like tea (I do really enjoy stroopwafels, after all), so I think my citizenship is safe for now. :wink2:

(Being mocked is very much on the table, however.)

27 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

No, that's a whole other level. I don't think any Dutch loose sleep over how others eat their cookies.

20 minutes ago, Nielo said:

Maybe not quite as severe as a Brit who doesn't like tea (I do really enjoy stroopwafels, after all), so I think my citizenship is safe for now. :wink2:

(Being mocked is very much on the table, however.)

I'd have thought (in theory) that toasting them would be the ideal compromise. In theory because putting one in a toaster would be a rank impossibility if you ever wanted to use that toaster ever again ? But doing them under the grill, or... oh dear... frying in a little butter... that would be pretty next level I think.

It's a very good thing that I don't have any, because I'd be wanting to try this, this instant. :yum:

21 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I'd have thought (in theory) that toasting them would be the ideal compromise. In theory because putting one in a toaster would be a rank impossibility if you ever wanted to use that toaster ever again ? But doing them under the grill, or... oh dear... frying in a little butter... that would be pretty next level I think.

It's a very good thing that I don't have any, because I'd be wanting to try this, this instant. :yum:

Yeah, that'd probably kill the toaster. XD

Grilling them does sound good, but also like waaaaay too much effort. I'm lazy & they taste good cold too. :P

(The best stroopwafels can usually be found at market stalls where they're freshly made though. ?)

43 minutes ago, Nielo said:

Grilling them does sound good, but also like waaaaay too much effort. I'm lazy & they taste good cold too. :P

(The best stroopwafels can usually be found at market stalls where they're freshly made though. ?)

The last box of them that I got were a little stale. ?

Yeah all the grilling and frying ideas are only really good if someone else's doing it for you. :ph34r:

Fresh ones must be MILES better than the boxed ones. :D