My cat died last night

Both of our cats were sick, but while Josephine responded well to the medicine, Napoleon never got better. He died at 10:52 PM with me and my parents right by his side.  We really weren't expecting this. Both our cats are littermates that we got as kittens in October 2015. He had a good life, and I'm glad to have known him. Today's my birthday, but I don't feel happy.

62222726_10216955299668048_3324725185877114880_o (800x799).jpg

I am so terribly sorry for your loss, a truly awful thing to happen on your birthday! ? Its always so heartbreaking when it happens & your little man was so handsome. It's a little silver lining that your baby was so comfortable to pass in your presence, one last final show of his love for you ❤️

I experienced something eerily similar a few years back so please do not hesitate to PM me if you need to talk. I lost my baby girl a week before my birthday so I understand how raw & painful you must be feeling.

That is devastating! I'm so sorry for your loss! I recently lost my 12 year old pup to Cushings Disease and Adrenal Cancer that spread. It's only been less than a month and it's not the same around here. Wishing you and your family all the best in this difficult time!

Thanks everyone. It's been a rough day. Josephine's much more skittish than usual, and is avoiding the living room completely (where he died, and where we stored the cat carrier with his body until dad could take him to be cremated). I'm sure she's grieving too. When I feel up to it, I'm going to make a memorial for him. Not sure what it will look like, but it will involve all the pictures of him I can find.

Devastated to hear this sorrowful news. We've always had cats and the loss of one is heart wrenching. They leave a gap in our lives when they go. Much sympathy.

8 hours ago, Sciurus carolinensis said:

Thanks everyone. It's been a rough day. Josephine's much more skittish than usual, and is avoiding the living room completely (where he died, and where we stored the cat carrier with his body until dad could take him to be cremated). I'm sure she's grieving too. When I feel up to it, I'm going to make a memorial for him. Not sure what it will look like, but it will involve all the pictures of him I can find.

We did that for Mouse and I thought it would be hard to look at her urn everyday but I actually find a sense of peace in it. We were going to take her to a nearby vet that had cremation services but there they just sent the animal off to crematorium and the remains could be returned to you. My husband looked for different places and found a really good one. They did a cast print of both her front paws. I thought they would just do one, so opening up the box and seeing both her paws was amazing. Something we can keep and treasure forever. We made a special spot on our TV cabinet above the TV for just Mouse's memorial. We set up her urn, paw print casting, a picture frame with two pictures and her last toy she got hanging over the corner of the frame. The cremation company gave us a sympathy card that I have tucked on the side as well as a special pin. My husband put her favorite ball on the shelf too and I have two flameless candles on either side. It's simple but beautiful. We can rotate the pictures out every now and then too.

She most definitely is grieving too! Animals have feelings too, so she's probably feeling the same thing you are.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.  I lost two cats two years ago, and it still hurts. While both were part Bombay, Malaika was more affectionate than her brother, Logan. I wish I had a picture of them to share.

• 3 weeks later...

a neighborhood cat we occasionally looked after passed away in our home a couple hours ago. We still have two kitties, but losing any kitty (or any pet) is no bueno.

• 2 years later...

My condolences to you

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.
Per the reason above, please review our SPAM rules.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED.

• Duma locked this topic