Do you like chatspeak or 1337?

Pepperminti

I personally don't like either. I hardly ever see 1337 though. But what I hate is when people mix up the letters in chatspeak, making it totally unreadable.

I make a spelling mistake or two sometimes, but that's it.

I'm not really a fan of chat/cheat/1337 speak. I mean I use abbreviations, like LOL, ROTFL, BTW, FTW, FYI, ATM, G2G ect especially when I text, but when people are like "i wun 2 go 2 teh store 2day w/ meh mom 2 get sum bacun thn go 2 skool"(a random example XD) on a message board it gets annoying. I mean I can understand talking like that in a text message or IM but on a message board... people can afford to speak with popper English, especially because in message boards there tends to be more important/in depth discussions going on, depending on the forum or topic.

Well that is my opinion on cheat/chat/1337 speak.

PS. Isn't 1337 speak only using numbers as letters? I'm not quite sure about that one that much.

Ugh...it is so annoying. I mean, I use abbreviations as much as the next guy but "ta1|<ing 1yk this" is just a pain.

Some people take the definition of chatspeak too far though. I joined a guild once that wouldn't let me use 'lol'. Terrible. =/

I'm okay with it to a certain degree - I understand that using abbreviations is useful for speeding up typing and such. But when it becomes impractical and unreadable, that's just going too far.

I'm not much of a fan of "1337" replace-letters-with-numbers thing. It's just downright annoying to try and decipher. I will use abbreviations though since it's just a lot faster and everyone already knows what they mean.

There's the occasional abbreviation that confuses me, but generally they're fine. It's not too much trouble to look one up every now and again.

Hehe usually I'll just ask if I don't know the abbreviation, partly because when I talk to friend from neo, a lot of items people refer to are abbreviated and I'm just terrible remembering them all

I.Love.L33t.

Though I couldn't really tell you why XD Maybe I just like codes. My gaggle of geeks friends and I have our own, which, inccidently, stems from l33t. And I like rot13 too. Very basic, but useful.

That said, I really can't stand bad communication on boards, whether it's due to spelling, abbreviations, grammar or...whatever.

I despise chatspeak. Yes, and I'm glad TDN made it a rule not to allow chatspeak because that would make my eyes hurt, not to mention that I'd just ignore it altogether.

Abbreviations, we all use them, so that's fine. Just try to restrict the use of anything that isn't 'lol' or related to hello and bye to IM clients only. And even there, don't use chatspeak, it's ugly. :)

I mean, I love the 1337 use (Ex: I'm 1337 at RS on Neopets!), but that's all.

Ugh...it is so annoying. I mean, I use abbreviations as much as the next guy but "ta1|<ing 1yk this" is just a pain.

Some people take the definition of chatspeak too far though. I joined a guild once that wouldn't let me use 'lol'. Terrible. =/

Yeah, hahaa, my guild is like that. It's one of those "teams that try to win points" and when I said lol (I also used @) once, I got points taken off my team...>.> Sheesh.

But yes, I agree, chatspeak is slightly annoying.

When people use it for hours on end, it gets more than slightly annoying. <_<

I don't see how people find appeal in replacing letters with numbers.

ok...I used 2l8 too...when I was 14...now I'm nearly 22 ;)

In my opinion it's something for children or brainless Idiots... Most of the older people using such things are freaks...

I could live with these typical chat words like lol, rofl...or *put a word insinde* ^^ That's ok for a chat...you don't see the mimic or the behaviour of your oponent...and always use smileys or write down "oh yeah...that's funny...I'm laughing" costs so much of the time and we all know that there's nobody with time out there :rolleyes_anim:

I remember back in the days when I first started my internet journey, and I used Yahoo! a lot.

The amount of chatspeak I had was annoying, in retrospect.

I guess I just kinda got out of it because I learned if I didn't act like a complete moron, I'd find more people who weren't so stupid. :]

As a result, I'm a complete grammar nazi now.

I absolutely HATE chatspeak. It's completely useless and it only irritates people. The only exception I take to this is LOL. Other than that, blech. x_x

I remember there was a little anti-chatspeak animation that turned up on the forums a while back... where did that go?

I remember there was a little anti-chatspeak animation that turned up on the forums a while back... where did that go?

It was summoned to court, because a bunch of angry people didn't like it and they called me as defense attorney to defend the animation. You don't want to know what happened in court - let me just say that chatspeak is long gone on TDN. :laughingsmiley:

Seriously now, I don't know where it went.

Ack, I'm sure I had the URL, but I don't know where that disappeared too... :grrr:

I do remember putting it all over my blog though.

Ehh, I just type normally. Easy for me and easy to read.