Neopets Magazine Discontinued

Superfly

- Neopets Magazine Discontinued -

logo.gif

The official Neopets Magazine (published by Beckett) has been discontinued. The last Neopets Magazine issue to be published was Issue #26 - January of 2008 (see below), which is currently still being sold. TDN has contacted Beckett Inc. and found out that the reason for the discontinuation is "seizing publication to change into Plushie Pals". We also know that Plushie Pals will include the following items: beanie babies, webkins, Neopets plushies, and other collectables. According to a customer service representative [who talked to TDN earlier today], Beckett has nothing to do with the switch, it's all coming from Neopets/Viacom - so please don't call Beckett and complain.

neopetslga8603c9gn1.jpg

I don't now whether to feel honored or sad that I'm the last issue. :(

- Unreleased Neogreeting -

tm_1251.gif

Thanks to Premium Charters for letting us know about the magazine. ;o

So I suppose that means no more free codestones and NP from the word scambles? Shame. =(

From what I've read online, the content inside it looked quite interesting, actually. Ahh well.

I purchased a subscription for the Neopets Magazine, and it hasn't ended, so do I get a refund, or is my subscription switched over to Plushie Pals?

Strategos I would contact the company about that. I wouldn't think they would just switch it over because that isn't what you subscribed to. I had a subscription years ago, but I haven't had one in ages. I should really go to the store and get the last magazine tomorrow, it is sad it is being discontinued!

I don't think you'll be refunded, you'll probably get credit to get a magazine subscription with any other of Beckett's magazines - but I'd phone them up if I were you.

The CEO of Beckett media came to my Strategic Management class last semester and said this might happen when I questioned him about the neopets mag. He said it was because there wasn't much volume with neopets. We didn't talk about it long because he was giving a presentation but he also said that you can cancel and get a refund if you complain.

Interesting... and odd at the same time. I can't say I'll miss the magazine, since I've never really looked at it, but I will miss those free codestones. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dad of a Kid

- Neopets Magazine Discontinued -

logo.gif

The official Neopets Magazine (published by Beckett) has been discontinued. The last Neopets Magazine issue to be published was Issue #26 - January of 2008 (see below), which is currently still being sold. TDN has contacted Beckett Inc. and found out that the reason for the discontinuation is "seizing publication to change into Plushie Pals". We also know that Plushie Pals will include the following items: beanie babies, webkins, Neopets plushies, and other collectables. According to a customer service representative [who talked to TDN earlier today], Beckett has nothing to do with the switch, it's all coming from Neopets/Viacom - so please don't call Beckett and complain.

neopetslga8603c9gn1.jpg

I don't now whether to feel honored or sad that I'm the last issue. :(

- Unreleased Neogreeting -

tm_1251.gif

Thanks to Premium Charters for letting us know about the magazine. ;o

I am not a Neopets aficionado, but my son is. I was about to renew a lapsed subscription when I decided to go to Beckett's site to get more information. I found it not possible to pursue any subscription links to Neopets Magazine, so I decided next to search for such information and a link came up for this site.

I appreciate your existence and my being informed through it. I wonder what I'm going to tell my boy, though.

Still I find it strange that, while it may not have the impact that the cancellation of Star Trek back in '69 did to us kiddies back then, that there is so little disappointment expressed here. I presume that most posters here are adults, at least around thirty, if not more? I think a child, even an early teen might be more... "Trekkie" about the loss of a magazine dedicated to an object of affection. I suppose also this is why Viacom may have pulled the plug on Neopets Magazine; mainly a younger audience is more interested in its entire universe, rather than specific bonmots obtainable, than anyone older thirteen or fifteen?

At least kids still have Highlights, Kids Discover, Ranger Rick, etc.

But I found that Neopets, while I personally never got into them, nurtured a more artistic side in kids. Oh, well. (Lets hope Viacom doesn't pull the final plug on ol' Star Trek; an older crowd might be up in arms! ;) )

Actually, most of the people on this forum (but not all) are below twenty - there a significant number of exceptions to that, but we young 'uns make up the majority.

I think a child, even an early teen might be more... "Trekkie" about the loss of a magazine dedicated to an object of affection.

With the widespread popularity of the internet, the magazine was but a physical manifestation of fansites like us. Or perhaps children nowadays can see when blatant merchandising is blatant merchandising. :)

The lack of reaction that you see denotates the reach of the magazine - the lack of which lead to its discontinuation. The magazine never really was 'essential' to the game. Sure, it was interesting, but the internet and sites like TheDailyNeopets more than fulfilled what the magazine intended to do.

There's the further social stigma of playing Neopets. This is probably moreso outside the age group that the magazine was aimed at, but Neopets' perceived 'uncoolness' wiped out the possibility of outliers.

All in all, I think our casual manner in facing the magazine's discontinuation is a general feeling - the magazine never really did anything for us and I'm sure as heck not going to be seen reading one.

To answer your question, like The Evil Guy said, the majority of us are in our teens. All but two of our staff members are, too (I'm 14).

Good luck with your son.