How to make Neopets Toolbar work with Firefox 3

Guest Sloth Von Karma

Well there are really no major changes in the steps, so I'd say the guide is fine as it is. :yes:

• 1 month later...
Well there are really no major changes in the steps, so I'd say the guide is fine as it is. :yes:

I just upgraded to FF3.0.1 on Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium, and when I tried to edit the Install file your instructions to "click properties and open the file" didn't make sense. There was no option in Properties to open the file. I opened the file normally in Notepad and changed the line, both to 3.0b4 and 3.0.* and neither one worked. I couldn't drag the archive to the add-ons window at the end of the process. Maybe I had to do a "save as" in Notepad to a particular setting? I just hit Save.

HOWEVER, when I just tried to install the toolbar, it worked. At this point, the other addon to get the blinking neomail alert to work is not working. I just downloaded the "latest" beta (3.0.0beta3) from the site. I guess I won't know if the Tarla alert is working until I find out I missed one.

The only other thing that is different is that there are no icons in the toolbar drop down list now, which I hope means it will be faster, but probably not.

If anyone else knows how to get the toolbar alert to work on this, or if I missed a step with the about:config to get the alert working, please let me know.

Thanks for a great tutorial!

@ccmgm: If the original tutorial doesn't work for you, there's an alternative method mentioned in this post:

Well there is actually an alternative way to do this... the 'Nightly Tester Tools' add-on is capable of overriding the compatibility checks for all your extensions (you can get it here). Just install it, restart Firefox, and click 'Override all compatibility' in your add-ons window. :yes:

Just a quick warning though: there is no guarantee that the Neopets Toolbar is fully compatible with Firefox 3. Override the checks at your own risk. However, most extensions work fine after the update, it's just the extension developers forgetting to update the compatibility data. :laughingsmiley:

Edit: It seems that at the moment the toolbar does not cause any major problems. However, the alerts for the toolbar do not work. See the post directly below for details.

I'm not sure whether or not TNT has cleared up the toolbar alerts though, so I'd be grateful if somebody could check.

I encountered a quirk when I was checking the settings through about:config. The line

neopets.toolbar.AlertPeek.NewAlert;true

was set to false. When I toggled it to true, I got a message in a yellow box within the about:config window, saying there was a new alert. The link still didn't work. I quickly went to IE and copied the link and then used that in FF3. It was too late, but apparently that condition needs to be reset to true.

When I went back to about:config, all the timer intervals were back to 300 and the peek values were back to false. :grrr:

I really doubt they will update anything for FF3 if it's not related to the NCMall or something that drives sales. Now if they decide to add a button that takes you directly to purchases, they might consider it. :S

Does anyone know how to make the changes in about:config setting stick?

Does anyone know how to make the changes in about:config setting stick?

I'm afraid that if the Neopets Toolbar extension wants to change the settings, there's no way to stop it save disabling the extension. :(

And TNT hasn't really seemed inclined to update the Neopets Toolbar at all recently, so we'll have to make do with whatever workarounds we can find.

• 3 weeks later...
And TNT hasn't really seemed inclined to update the Neopets Toolbar at all recently, so we'll have to make do with whatever workarounds we can find.

It was pure luck that the toolbar worked on Firefox v2 to be honest. TNT have not updated the toolbar since FF1. I did get a reply from them on the toolbar issue - they suggest I do not use FF3! What a great help that was :P

• 1 month later...

Um...

When I open it with WinRAR, it has 4 things instead of 3 files.

The folders "...", "chrome", and files "chrome.manifest", "install.rdf".

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics inactive for more than 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Ruto if you have any questions regarding this action.