Neopets is Infected

Ian

Hello,

Over the past few days, we've been getting a lot of reports of viruses on Neopets, but it has never been actually confirmed. However, just recently, a virus has been discovered on Neopets called value[1].wmf and a trojan downloader called bl4ck.com. Beware of these viruses and stay away from Neopets until TDN gives you an all clear.

UPDATE Here is a direct quote from washingtonpost.com, a news company:

An online banner advertisement that ran on MySpace.com and other sites over the past week used a Windows security flaw to infect more than a million users with spyware when people merely browsed the sites with unpatched versions of Windows, according to data collected by iDefense, a Verisign company.

It seems that Neopets is not the only site with viruses/spyware! We highly recommend getting any Windows/security updates available for your computer. Although Neopets is relatively safe, you should take the proper safety precautions. We highly recommend using Mozilla Firefox for web browing, as it will block popups and keep you safe from spyware.

At this point, things are pretty much all clear. :) It's not "dangerous" or unsafe to visit Neopets now, but make sure you have the proper software installed (such as virus blockers and Mozilla Firefox) to browse the web safely. :)

Stay with us for updates.

Tipem

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Teen_astronomer

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

How could TNT allow this?

...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Tipem, is there anyway of knowing what this virus will do to our computer, I have been alerting my friends, and they keep asking me what it will do, and I can't answer it for them, do you by any chance know?

also how will tnt be able to fix it, the latest it be fixed is monday wouldn't it, considering they don't work, unless they have the tech people look over the system every day

Yes, I do believe that TNT does have tech people that work for them 24/1 but tipem, might be able to clear that up a little.

Yes, I do believe that TNT does have tech people that work for them 24/1 but tipem, might be able to clear that up a little.

sorry but where it says 24/1 -- that should be 24/7, meaning everyday and every hour

This is almost the final straw for me. If TNT doesn't either get rid of ads or update their security system, I'm quitting neopets. This is ridiculous that they could allow viruses to slip through their system so many times.

Tipem, can premium members get on because we don't have advertisments, we only have the little ones on the side, or could the virus be there too?

I have just been informed that a friend of mine has this virus. It will not let her download anything, or run a virus scan. The virus could be a little different, but that is what is noticably wrong with her computer. She had to completely wipe her computer so get rid of it. I will keep you informed if I hear anything more.

A wise reccomendation is to download Mozilla Firefox and an extension called Adblock.

Mozilla Firefox can be found here:

www.firefox.com

And our tutorial on Adblock can be found here:

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/articles/remove-neopets-ads/

mikey, if we do this, which I have already done, will we be safe from the viruses?

If you browse the internet with Mozilla Firefox and block Neopets ads with AdBlock you should have no problems whatsoever. I've never received one trojan or virus with Mozilla. Ever. Never ever.

If you browse the internet with Mozilla Firefox and block Neopets ads with AdBlock you should have no problems whatsoever. I've never received one trojan or virus with Mozilla. Ever. Never ever.

ok thanks, I'm going to double check and make sure that everything is installed and running properly then I will get on!

Does this affect mac computers as well? Thanks

b) Fishy

I don't know about the mac computer question, but I do know that the adblock does work, and I recommend it to EVERYONE! Even if you just being safe, follow the simple guide and boom, your done!

I had adblock installed before. However, this topic doesn't actually say the virus has anything to do with the ads. Unfortunately I opened tonnes of neo pages and games today before I read about the virus, and my norton has run out :crying: I'm just hoping I didn't catch anything. Can't wait for an official update on this one!

A wise reccomendation is to download Mozilla Firefox and an extension called Adblock.

Mozilla Firefox can be found here:

www.firefox.com

And our tutorial on Adblock can be found here:

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/articles/remove-neopets-ads/

Thanks for the heads up! I've been using Mozilla Firefox with Adblock and *crosses fingers* I haven't had a virus or trojan since... Also, I'm using AVG Free :medieval: (Grisoft product) as my virus protection and so far, so good.

Does this affect mac computers as well? Thanks

b) Fishy

I'm thinking that Mac Users wouldn't be vulnerable to these virus/trojan programs. Most of them are written for the PC, and Macs usually are very safe when it concerns viruses. I don't have a Mac, so if someone is sure of the answer, I'm sure they'll post.

MOD: do not post twice in a row, just edit your previous post.

I use Adblock on Mozilla, but for some reason it doesn't block all of the ads. So I'm not gonna log on Neopets on neither browser. How did you guys confirmed this, though?

Edit: I have gotten that value virus before and I got rid of it by deleting my Cookies.