Neopets is Infected

Ian

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the warning!

I have an adblocker and virus blocker programs but I'm going to stay of Neopets just in case.

I hope TNT get it fixed as soon as they can :worried:

Ack. Not again! However I haven't recieved one virus thing from Neopets using IE7 yet, I wouldn't really take the chance.

The file extension is ".wmf" which stands for "Windows Meta File". So I'm guessing no, it doesn't affect Macs. It's a security vunerability that was made public by Microsoft and has really been the only one they've been stumped on. However, they did release a patch for it some months ago. So, if you're up to date on your Microsoft Updates, all should be well.

Oh. By the way, ".wmf"s are a vunerability in images. So it's all types of banner ads on Neopets. GIFs and SWFs. Make sure adblock deals with both. ;)

Edit: Read up more about it on Wikipedia.

The file extension is ".wmf" which stands for "Windows Meta File". So I'm guessing no, it doesn't affect Macs. It's a security vunerability that was made public by Microsoft and has really been the only one they've been stumped on. However, they did release a patch for it some months ago. So, if you're up to date on your Microsoft Updates, all should be well.

Edit: Read up more about it on Wikipedia.

Thanks so much, I'm going to stay away, but I feel better knowing that I don't THINK it will affect me. Thanks again!

I use Adblock on Mozilla, but for some reason it doesn't block all of the ads. So I'm not gonna log on Neopets on neither browser. How did you guys confirmed this, though?

Edit: I have gotten that value virus before and I got rid of it by deleting my Cookies.

Well according to TDN you guys listed the names of the viruses and the trojans. I then sent a link to the saftey center to my friend over AIM. She has been having problems with her computer lately and when she saw the different names, they matched exactly what her computer found. So that is all I know, who knows but she is a very active neopets player, and it is most likey she got it from there.

If you browse the internet with Mozilla Firefox and block Neopets ads with AdBlock you should have no problems whatsoever. I've never received one trojan or virus with Mozilla. Ever. Never ever.

me niether :)

MOD EDIT: Please post 4+ words. Quotes do not count.

Please review our rules.

Neopets needs to get a clue, not all companies who want to place ads on pages are nice. Bleh. I do have a few suggestions for people whos computers are infected or you think its infected. Before i start this i will say that i clean computers infected with spyware and virus' so i do know what i'm doing. Download all programs beforehand and printing out this would certainly help.

I do hope posting this guide in the thread is acceptable, its not like i'm making money off this. :sad01_anim:

Programs used to clean your computer: Every single one of these are free.

AdAware SE here make sure to update it.

Spybot Search and Destroy here make sure to update it.

CwShredder here NOTE: When running make sure to close all windows, notepad, word files and windows media player or it will not remove the infection.

CCleander here have it analize and then clean.

SpywareBlaster here update it, enable all protection and close it.

First step is to read this page, follow the directions to start your computer in 'safe mode'. Make sure to scroll down till you find your operating system on the list. Quoted from page.

Many times in order to remove a piece of spyware or for troubleshooting and diagnostic purposes, you'll have to start Windows in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, only specific programs and files needed to run the operating system are loaded. Some functions, such as connecting to the Internet, will not be active in Safe Mode and a standard video driver will be loaded causing a washed out look and a possible change in resolution.

However, because just the essential programs and files are loaded in Safe Mode, this allows us to remove some spyware, adware, viruses and such that cannot be removed in Normal Mode.

When restarting your computer usually you have to tap the 'F5' key at startup but not allways. When you've chosen 'safe mode' and its booted up to your desktop start up CCleaner, you should have downloaded it earlier. Have it analize then run once thats finished. Your temp files, cookies and any nasty trojans hiding in there will be deleted.

Now run CWShredder and remember to close all windows and programs before you do that, it'll prompt you to do the same. You can see it going through files on your comp and it will delete any infections it finds, once done you can close it.

Bring up Spybot and run it, its going to have you configure things i allways just click 'ok' and make it happy. Once its to the point where it lists 'check for updates, check my computer and about' i allways make sure its updated. Once updated have it check your comp. If it finds anything have it delete it then close the program.

Now bring up AdAware and have it check for updates, once done go to the little funny looking wheel. Now we're going to 'tweek' adaware so it checks all the files on your comp not just some.

Go to 'General settings" Make sure everything has a green check mark on this page. Go to 'Scanning' and make sure everything is all green here too. That should be all that needs tweaking. Click proceed and then 'start' and make sure 'full system scan' is checked and press 'next'. Let it run and delete everything it finds.

Can you belive your allmost done? Yay! Now start up Spyware Blaster and have it update, it make take a few minutes because theres alot of update it'll need. This program blocks bad programs and files from being downloaded on your computer. Once its done it'll say 'There are now XXXX unprotected items' and 'enable all protection' which the latter one you should click on. Wait for it to say 'all protection enabled' and your done and you can close it. It doesnt need to run to protect your computer. Once thats done restart your computer normally.

Your all done your computer should be free of those pesky virus' and spyware. But you have to have anitvirus software which will help keep your computer clean. If you dont have other antivirus software running try the free version of AVG Anti-Virus from here.

I hope this helps someone in making sure they have a bug free computer.

OH! I just looked the trojan and downloader up and came up with this article. Its a hacked myspace ad thats giving people these things. Downloading the most recent security update from Microsoft would be a big help in keeping your comp from being infected also.

I'm still wondering how were these viruses confirmed? Did you guys get it? Or have you seen screenies? I think TNT should disable the website until they fix the problem because those people who don't visit sites like these, won't be able to know about the problem.

look, i dont want to dash anyone's hopes, but this weekend is labor day weekend. so doesnt that mean TNT won't be back in the office until tuesday?

thanks for the heads up. good thing i checked over here before i checked neopets today. i will be staying away from there until further notice.

Ack! My sis. doesn't get how bad this virus thing is and keeps getting on Neopets. Hopefully they'll have this fixed soon!

wow. that totally sucks. i guess she's younger than you? maybe you could block neopets for awhile so she doesnt screw up ur computer. those things are temporary, arent they? (could some compter geek come and tell me if im wrong. :) no offense, of course!)

OMG.... I've been like getting trojan warning from my computer ( with the yellow caution sign) and NOW i know its 'cause of NEOPETS. :| ... *sigh* Guess i'll go play games on bonus.com or ezone.com -_-

i couldnt know unless i went to the site (b/c im sure they say so SOMEWHERE). but there are viruses, of course, catch-22. does anyone have TNT's email? obviously neomail doesnt work unless you are immune to the virus. email might because you have to use an email to send them editorial questions. maybe everyone not affected by the viruses could send TNT editorials asking about the viruses?

even so, i dont think that they'll get them anytime soon. but if enough ppl send editorials, TNT will have to notice (if they haven't noticed the viruses already).

Im REALLY not lovin' TNT for this... anyone know any good games I could play to wait it out?

TNT will never, ever admit to a virus on their site, period. For amny many reasons; it'd harm reputation with them and their sponsers, they'd lose money, and its embarrassing.

Remember though that it is in no way TNT's FAULT. It is the fault of the advertising company who automatically puts rotations on Neopets; its a 3rd party source who controls the ads, mainly. Not theirs. -_-

TNT will never, ever admit to a virus on their site, period. For amny many reasons; it'd harm reputation with them and their sponsers, they'd lose money, and its embarrassing.

Remember though that it is in no way TNT's FAULT. It is the fault of the advertising company who automatically puts rotations on Neopets; its a 3rd party source who controls the ads, mainly. Not theirs. -_-

But it's TNT's fault for putting up those ads <_<. As long as they fix it, then it's all good. But they will still ruin their reputation for not being honest. I have to install Adblock for Mozilla again.