Neopets is Infected

Ian

Its their fault for having ads in the first place, but not for putting up the virus-ridden ad. They have no control over most of the offsite ads. Its done by a 3rd party.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neopets....grr. I think I have a virus already. :( I usually do all my dailies before going to TDN to check for updtaes and such and I started to get very inappropriate popups...FROM NEOPETS! It's ridiculous. I just cleared my history and deleted the cookies and everything seems fine for now. I hope. TNT will pay if this virus doesn't go away. :grrr:

Geez. that's horrible. neopets better get this fixed or else...

They're going down!!!! *slaps virus infected neopets*

I am not sure if anyone else contacted TNT but I just did and told them about it. Hopefully I gave them enough info..but they say to add the url for what ad, and say what ad..and all I know is that it is most likely a non-neopets related one. lol

I've raised up the internet security on my system, but I'm still not going on Neopets until TDN gives the all clear signal. I can't afford to get a virus. :(

I see you read the entirety (or even any) of the topic, lonewolf :)

Premium users are not affected. Hopefully.

Disabled ones are not affected. ITS IN THE ADS, NOT THE SITE/IMAGES.

It's in the images of the ads. Don't get confussled. ;)

Lets put it this way. Me, up to date with my Microsoft/Windows Updates, browsing WITH ads in IE 7 and I haven't been affected once. Not to say that I won't be, just it seems a considerably lucky streak if I haven't been affected.

Um since there is a virus infected on TNT, so would the neopets toolbar would have any effect? I mean, like could there be viruses on the neo toolbar? Just wondering.. :ohno:

I am gonna say it for the last time.

NEOPETS.COM ITSELF IS NOT AFFECTED.

ONE ADVERT ON THE SITE IS/WAS, AND IS ON A ROTATION OF AROUND 500 OTHER ADVERTS. THE LIKLIHOOD OF GETTING IT IS SLIM.

VIEWING NEOPETS.COM PAGES WITH THE APPROPRIATE SOFTWARE INSTALLED, AND VIEWING NEOPETS IMAGES, WILL NOT INFECT YOU.

Thus, Neopets Toolbar will NOT affect you unless you click on a link to the main neopets site that HAS THE VIRUS ON IT. Not many paegs will.

READ, people.

/rant

I am gonna say it for the last time.

NEOPETS.COM ITSELF IS NOT AFFECTED.

ONE ADVERT ON THE SITE IS/WAS, AND IS ON A ROTATION OF AROUND 500 OTHER ADVERTS. THE LIKLIHOOD OF GETTING IT IS SLIM.

VIEWING NEOPETS.COM PAGES WITH THE APPROPRIATE SOFTWARE INSTALLED, AND VIEWING NEOPETS IMAGES, WILL NOT INFECT YOU.

Thus, Neopets Toolbar will NOT affect you unless you click on a link to the main neopets site that HAS THE VIRUS ON IT. Not many paegs will.

READ, people.

/rant

ok, diablo. that still confused me. so if the popup comes up (which is slim b/c there are 500 diff. ads), i will get the virus? or will i only get the virus if i (stupidly) click the link that leads to the virus. and one more question. are they actual popup ads or is it one of the banner ads on neopets?

my knowledge of computers only goes so far. :)

Okay. Not last time.

There isnt a popup. Not all ads come from popups.

There IS an installer that will prompt you to download something. Dont.

It is a banner ad from the top.

There isnt a link. It will automatically download.

ok then. thanks chicken guy. that cleared it up enuff so that i am not going NEAR neopets until you all at tdn give the all clear. :)

I hate hearing about viruses on my favorite sites! Neo should have never started to make their site so ad intensive! And while admitting that you have a viris is embarrasing and all that, I think not admitting it does more damge, because it takes down credibility, and roumors of virus often keep going even after it's been taken care of!

Thanks for the recomendation about the adblock! I have been using firefox for a few months now, but it's awesome that it takes down so many ads like that! XD

So much for neo's boasts that no virus will ever be found on their site! *grins*

How come when I downloaded Firefox, I can't use it? I downloaded it yesterday and when I open it to browse the Internet and to download Adblock, the page is always white. Blank. It never changes. I type in an url to try to take away the white but it just stays like that. If I can't go to an url or website, how am I going to download Adblock?? Does anyone have a link for the download Adblock link?

How come when I downloaded Firefox, I can't use it? I downloaded it yesterday and when I open it to browse the Internet and to download Adblock, the page is always white. Blank. It never changes. I type in an url to try to take away the white but it just stays like that. If I can't go to an url or website, how am I going to download Adblock?? Does anyone have a link for the download Adblock link?

You have to set your homepage. I think that's the problem so just type in google.com on the URL address bar and make it your homepage for now. It should work...

I'm pretty lucky also. I have been on neopets lots of times but no Viry for me :D

Same here!! I think that viruses are scared of my super computer and all my wi-fi stuff in it.